Incremental Backups To Tape RRS feed

• Question

•  I have a PG that backups up to disk for 30 days and does a good job.  I want to back this up to tape using a 1 long term backup to tape at the beginning of the month and every day between those a incremental.  I can see how to set it using the 'short term option to tape' but then won't that take away my current schedule of writing to disk?  Setting it to use the long term option to tape tells me it is a full backup each time.  I have 10TB to replica data that daily has about 10% change rate.  This is what I want to disk and tape daily and once a month the 10TB.

Ted
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As noted, long term tape backups are always full backups. I understand your point and goal, but that is not possible in the product today.

Please take some time to complete the survey (Future Enhancements to DPM) and share your future needs with the DPM Product Team.

Survey Link: http://connect.microsoft.com/site840/Survey/Survey.aspx?SurveyID=11130

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As noted, long term tape backups are always full backups. I understand your point and goal, but that is not possible in the product today.

Please take some time to complete the survey (Future Enhancements to DPM) and share your future needs with the DPM Product Team.

Survey Link: http://connect.microsoft.com/site840/Survey/Survey.aspx?SurveyID=11130

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:28 PM
  • I hate to be cynical but I have been in IT for 25 years and know future enhancements are years away.  I feel I have been swindled in the low price for DPM in switching to it because of the number of server I have to back up.  Sadly, DPM is far from being capable of even the most common backup processes.

To complain further, I kicked off a backup of a PG to tape with compression on and was happy it was doing a great job in maximizing the tapes potential.  Halfway (3 hours) in the job failed for some ‘unknown’ reason so before I kicked it off again I enabled co-location so can have better tape utilization because I had several PG to do.  Well, when I restarted the job, no or very little compress was occurring now.

Obviously I did not do enough homework before making this switch.

Ted
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 4:01 PM
  • HI,

Yes, I understand your disappointment and we are beefing up the tape backup portion of the product in the next release based on customer feedback.  I'm not sure LT Incremental backups are in the plan, I can check.   Not sure I can explain why the compression was not turned on when you re-ran the failed backup.  If you continue to see tape backup jobs fail, provide me the details of the failed job and I can maybe help you resolve that portion so re-running tape backup jobs won't be necessary. 

Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:13 AM