none
Project Professional 2010 hangs when ussing on Windowes XP machine. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

Project Professional 2010 hangs when ussing on windowes XP OS,firsttime it open easly ,after finish work and closed ther project 2010 and try to open again,its never open again,means totaly hangs project professinal 2010.

i have check with many user XP based OS,all have same problem.

but on Windowes 7 ,same things working fine and cool.

Help is appreciated.

Hasan Jamal Siddiqui(MCTS,MCPD,ITIL@V3),Sharepoint and EPM Consultant,TCS

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Dinesh,

I had check all way,but still same problem,but i don't have idea why its working with wondwes 7 and not working with XP and Win8

Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:26 AM
  • Hi Dinesh, It was activation Issue.

some MSP has activated and some is not ativated, si i wa sfacing the issue.

now problem is resolved.

Monday, July 22, 2013 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Hasan,

Can you confirm whether the Project Client meets the system requirements as per the TechNet Article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624351(v=office.14).aspx#section12

Also, please refer to the 32/64bit system: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx

You can also try installing the latest CU for Project Client. The details for the same is mentioned in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587

Cheers! Happy troubleshooting !!! Dinesh S. Rai - MSFT Enterprise Project Management

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 9:55 AM
  • Hi Rai, The client system meets the requirements mentioned in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624351(v=office.14).aspx#section12 and it is 32bit not 64. In addition, as per windowes team, the system has the latest CU. What exactlyhappen there,when open the Project 2010 and publish th eproject then closed the Project 2010.but after close i had chek task manager,still there msproject process is running. kinly give guide line.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:27 AM
  • Hi Hasan,

Can you follow the below steps and let me know the Client Version:

1.        Open Project Professional 2010
    2.        Click on File Menu in the Ribbon and then click on Help
    3.        Here below About Microsoft Project, click on Additional Version and Copyright Information.
    4. Share the details of the version mentioned in the first line. It will be like "Microsoft Project 2010 (14.0.6131.5000)"

Cheers! Happy troubleshooting !!! Dinesh S. Rai - MSFT Enterprise Project Management

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Hi Rai,

Kinldy check below image for version info.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:33 AM
  • Hi Dinesh,

Kindly provide solution,Its very big issue there,becaus eof that my migration(EPM2007 to EPM2010)  Production  movement has been stoped.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 8:03 AM
  • Is any body provide me solution how to resolve this issue.

Its botel neck error for my migration project.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:46 AM
  • i have chek the same issue with wndowes 8 and Windowes XP ,what the exact erroro behind that i cant find out.

but windowes 7 its working fine.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:47 AM
  • Hi Jamal,

Can you click on the link "Additional Version and Copyright information" as shown in the screenshot above. The version information mentioned above is for Office and not Project.

Also, you can try installing the latest CU for Project Client http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2817385 and see if that helps to fix the issue.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:34 PM
  • Hi Dinesh,

Kinldy provide me solution,its very grate full for me.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:03 AM
  • I would run a repair from add/remove programs in the control panel and see if this fixes it.

I would ensure that all the latest windows updates are applied too.

When you exit Project for the 1st time, is winproj let running (check via task manager).  You should expect to see that process disappear when project is closed. 

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:38 AM
  • Yes Ben ,same problem,i have find the proces is running in task manager after exit from MSP2010.The MSP process can take 10 minute to kisl auto.

I have update machine and all pakges.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:13 AM
  • So I suspect the issue is with WindowsXP and it's interaction with Winproj.exe.  I would post this question on the WindowsXP forum and see what answers people give.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Thanks Ben,

When I can get expected answear.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:15 AM
  • When I said "I would post this question on the WindowsXP forum and see what answers people give."  I was saying what I would do if this was happening to me..  So specifically, If I were you, I would post this question on the WindowsXP forum and see what answers people give.  If you find the solution please post back here so others with the same issue can be helped.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:33 AM
  • Hi Hasan,

While you post it on the Windows XP forum, I would also suggest to temporarily disable Anti Virus and then try to do a repro of the issue. This is just to isolate the fact that its not an issue caused by Anti Virus.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:51 AM
  • Hi

i have instal  on windows 8 machine.here also same issue.

i thought version conflict

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:42 AM
  • Can you try to temporarily disable Anti Virus and then try to do a repro of the issue. This is just to isolate the fact that its not an issue caused by Anti Virus.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:46 AM
  • Hi Dinesh,

I had check all way,but still same problem,but i don't have idea why its working with wondwes 7 and not working with XP and Win8

Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:26 AM
  • Hi Ben,Thanks for suggestion,I have raised same issu on Windowlse XP

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/43ed4570-387b-4f09-af95-454b7a3db64c/project-professional-2010-hangs-when-ussing-on-windowes-xp-machine

Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:29 AM
  • I have do with disabel with Anti Virus,but same problem.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 8:52 AM
  • Hi Dinesh, It was activation Issue.

some MSP has activated and some is not ativated, si i wa sfacing the issue.

now problem is resolved.

Monday, July 22, 2013 8:39 AM