2003 and 2010 Coexistence - Configuring Client Access Serverexternal domain RRS feed

• Question

• I have a single Exchange 2003 Server that I am migrating to two multi-roll 2010 servers.<o:p></o:p>

I am preparing to install the Client Access Server. I'm curious about what actually happens with the name that is entered on the Configure Client Access Serverexternal domain page. Our users currently use mail.company.com to access OWA. I want to enter mail.company.com as the 2010 external server name but I want to ensure that doing so will not interfere with our existing 2003 server. In other words, I'm not ready to send production traffic through the 2010 server I just want to have it installed and configured before changing our DNS entries (both internal and external) to point to the new servers. Can I go forward with the CAS installation without disrupting my existing environment?

Thanks,

Jake

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:54 PM

Answers

• If DNS records for mail.company.com continue to point to the E2K3 server (for now) and all mailboxes still reside on the E2K3 server (probably the case since it looks like you have not yet installed E2K10 yet), that should be OK.

You *are* talking about the installation choices where you first install Exchange 2010, right?

If so, I think you should be OK.

When you think about it, what else could you enter otherwise?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Proposed as answer by David M (LePivert) Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Monday, December 3, 2012 2:09 AM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:14 AM

All replies

• If DNS records for mail.company.com continue to point to the E2K3 server (for now) and all mailboxes still reside on the E2K3 server (probably the case since it looks like you have not yet installed E2K10 yet), that should be OK.

You *are* talking about the installation choices where you first install Exchange 2010, right?

If so, I think you should be OK.

When you think about it, what else could you enter otherwise?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Proposed as answer by David M (LePivert) Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Monday, December 3, 2012 2:09 AM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:14 AM
  • http://www.techieshelp.com/how-to-install-exchange-2010-on-server-2008-r2/

Like there?

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:23 AM
  • Yes, I was referring to the installation choices when installing Exchange 2010.  I went ahead and installed the CAS roll on our servers and am now working through some configuration tweaks.  There seems to be no major impact on our production environment.  The only noticable change is that we do now see the option of selecting multiple locations for a mailbox when we are setting up a new user.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:43 PM