Windows 7 Freeze At Login Screen Leads to Unrecognized Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I've been an amateur system builder for my own gaming and professional computers for the last ten years or so, but have very recently run into a series of problems which have left me scratching my head!

I left a guest account available for my mom this weekend on my self-built desktop with OEM Windows 7 Professional (64-bit). When I returned, a series of odd errors begun, and have not stopped. Hopefully someone here can help. I am attempting to collect data on what my mom did while I was gone, but it may be incomplete.

The problems seem to be centered around my lovely Transcend SSD320 256 GB solid state drive containing my windows 7 boot partition.

First, it hung on a black screen when starting up, with the pointer in the center. Had to physically restart with power button.

Next it booted quickly (yay SSD!) to the login screen. At the login screen, I attempted to type my password, at which time the entire screen hard froze. Had to physically restart with power button.

When restarted manually again, windows attempted to do a system repair, but could not perform one automatically. Consequently I attempted to do a system restore to my most recent backup on my second drive. This could not be completed due to error 0x80071a90, which is the "corrupted system restore point" error, as far as I can tell. At this point, I read that for some people, system restore worked and so one should attempt to restart into safemode and check it out. Restarted within system repair dialogue.

At this point it became even stranger. My SSD wasn't even recognized as a boot device. It was not listed as a device to boot from when checked in the BIOS.

I booted from my Windows 7 disk and attempted a repair again. It did not find any restoration points (which is odd, though it recognized that my transcend drive existed). I attempted to reimage the boot partition off of a backup but it said that "Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using EFI and this computer is using BIOS." This was obviously very confusing, since nothing physically has changed in the computer since I did the imaging. Shut down within system repair dialogue.

At this point, I swapped the SSD's SATA connection location on the motherboard, and attempted to boot again. Oddly enough, I got into safe mode for the system restore I had attempted and got the 0x80071a90 error. There were no boot errors during this time and everything seemed to be fine. I though it might have been a connection problem with the SATA drive, so I restarted again and got to the login screen.

At the login screen, I attempted to type my password, at which time the entire screen hard froze. Had to physically restart with power button (again). You may notice that this is the same thing that happened earlier.

One final restart and it couldn't boot off of the drive, again. Had to go to sleep.

In my research I've seen people ask questions similar to mine that were unresolved on TechNet. Obviously I am an amateur, but will happily follow any instructions necessary to provide system information if it is needed. Hopefully someone can divine something consequential from my descriptions. Thanks.

Monday, March 25, 2013 12:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Here is a short summary of my mom's actions:

Used the guest account that I set up for her, accessed "her email" (yahoo) and some websites that sound pretty inoffensive/non-sketchy via chrome.

Held the power button to turn off the computer. Next time she restarted, the guest account now prompted her for a password. She didn't know what to do, so she held down the power button again.

When she turned it on, it was the initial black screen with pointer in the center. She attempted to restart it "three or four times" by holding down the power button to turn it off, then turned it on.

Monday, March 25, 2013 4:09 PM
  • Hi,

Please check if the computer is infected by virus.

You may follow this link to perform the repair installation.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by tracycai Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:47 AM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:56 AM