none
Unable to attach file to new message in Outlook 2016

Question

• We have just moved to Office 365 for Business and upgraded Outlook to 2016.

When composing a New Message, click on Attach File and a dropdown list appears of recent items, but only for about 1 second. If you're quick enough you might spot the file you want to attach and click on it in time, but mostly you can't.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 8:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Does this issue happen to other drop-down menus in Outlook? If so, we may consider to change to another mouse and update the mouse driver to see if it helps.

Please try starting Outlook in safe mode and then check if this issue continues. This could help us to determine if this issue is related to problematic add-in.

In addition, do you have any virus scanner installed? If so, please try temporarily disable it and then check if this issue persists.

We may also try testing this issue in a new Outlook mail profile. This doesn't require you to remove current profile, if the new profile would not fix the issue, we can just change back to your original profile. You won't lose any data.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 6:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does this issue happen to other drop-down menus in Outlook? If so, we may consider to change to another mouse and update the mouse driver to see if it helps.

Please try starting Outlook in safe mode and then check if this issue continues. This could help us to determine if this issue is related to problematic add-in.

In addition, do you have any virus scanner installed? If so, please try temporarily disable it and then check if this issue persists.

We may also try testing this issue in a new Outlook mail profile. This doesn't require you to remove current profile, if the new profile would not fix the issue, we can just change back to your original profile. You won't lose any data.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 6:23 AM
  • I have the same identical problem. Would appreciate help to resolve it.

Scott

Friday, October 16, 2015 11:25 PM
  • I was playing around with this further and see that it has something to do with Outlook's "updating" of the drop down list.  When it says "updating" in the top right corner the box quickly rolls back up.  When it doesn't say "updating" it stays down.
    Friday, October 16, 2015 11:30 PM
  • I'm having this same problem.  Was there ever a solution? It's very annoying that I can't attach a file using the button in Outlook.

This does not happen with other drop down menus.

It worked correctly in safe mode.

I disabled all add-ins and attach did not work.

I disabled my virus software and attach did not work.

• Edited by ChrissyB927 Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:36 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2015 9:10 PM
  • Steve, check this link

http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/717b604f-3c31-4c4f-990e-50501e0e8b50

9+ users are waiting for solution on that particular post. either they are using the quick access toolbar for adding attachment. but at this point can't attach any one drive or sharepoint attachments in the email. One of my client personally facing the same issue. I have troubleshooted the same and issue does not happen in safe mode. I have removed the Antivirus and disabled all the addins, through registry as well. I have booted the machine in safe mode and it did not help either. 

I believe this one is bug and should be highlighted to senior team for fix. 

If you could give us solution then it will be much appreciated. But its a complete new feature and troubleshooting steps are limited. 

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 1:33 PM
  • We are having the exact same issue. User on Windows 7 using Outlook 2016 standard, no add ons or other tweaks. Menu shows for about one second then disappears.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 3:51 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue.  My current workaround is to log in to the web client and attach from there.  Seems to just be one of those "new software" bugs.  Here's to waiting for updates... again :D
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 7:04 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same issue too. Outlook 2016 on Windows 8.1. If I'm lucky I'm able to move my mouse to the bottom of the drop-down menu and click on "Browse This PC..." But I've got to be quick about it. It exhibits the same behavior from the Message ribbon and from the Insert ribbon.
    Tuesday, November 03, 2015 12:24 AM
  • Having the same issue with a lot of users inside my organisation running Windows 7 and Office 2016.

We have got round the issue at the moment by adding the attach file shortcut to the quick access toolbar - you will have to "pop out" new emails, but it is easier that drag and drop. 

Hopefully they will fix this bug soon. 

Wednesday, November 04, 2015 1:58 PM
  • I have run into the same issue on a Win 7 laptop with Outlook 2016.  I believe the issue may be with the 'Recent Items' cache being corrupt, and no signs of where that could be located to delete.

I have tested in Safe Mode, tried adding the 'Attach File' to a new group on the Ribbon, created new Outlook profile, reinstalled Office, and attempted to locate the registry keys that are mentioned in other posts to clear Outlook cache but those weren't found.

I have yet to try recreating the Windows profile since it seems like such a big step to fix such a small bug.

Thursday, November 05, 2015 12:41 AM
  • Please add about 30,000 users to this list having this issue.

I am working with a customer for a Windows 10/Office 365 deployment. We have a clean image of Windows 10 with Office 2016 loaded. There are no add-ins installed. As others have mentioned, starting in Safe Mode does solve the issue.

This happens on all platforms (Desktop, Laptop, Surface Pro 3). No anti-virus or client management agents have been installed yet. There are a variety of mice in use.

This could be a showstopper for the customer if we can't get this resolved. Adding a command to Browse this PC to the Quick Start Menu is not an acceptable workaround for my customer. 

~Chaz

Friday, November 13, 2015 6:37 PM
  • We are seeing the same thing. Windows 7 with Outlook 2016 and we cannot keep the attach file list from closing right away. New profile on the same machine for a different user and everything is fine but I did not try to open a file in another application.

Repair did not work.

Works fine in safe mode.

Does not work in normal Outlook with all add-ins disabled.

It acts like it is trying to update or go online. when I click the attach file and I have the volume up, I can hear numerous clicks like you were clicking on a link. Repeats about 5 times and continues after the attach file pop up goes away.

I have recreated the Outlook profile to no avail. I really would rather not create a new windows profile but that seems to be the next available step. I just hope the issue does not return once the recent file list is populated again.

The only thing that has worked for us:

Click File

Click Office Account

Click Sign Out

Click Yes

Close Outlook

Open Outlook - Sign in with Work account

The user mentioned he tried to setup a one drive account with a personal username and password about the time this issue started. Hopefully the problem does not return.

• Proposed as answer by trmark123 Wednesday, May 04, 2016 4:34 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 10:06 PM
  • Has this been resolved?  I am experiencing this with my clients as well and it is holding up deployment.  To me it seems like it is querying for Connected Services for items to display and if you do not have any services configured it never quits but it keeps refreshing the menu item in question.  I have noticed that the whole New Email window border flashes like something is refreshing it after clicking Attach File.  Something is very wrong with this!  I am hoping Microsoft does not require a connection to service for this to go away.  Also, I can't connect to any services under Office Account, keeps saying Can't Display Online Services,  Sorry, we had a server issue.....  Try Again.  Would this be related?

Cheers,

Cory

Friday, December 04, 2015 7:56 PM
  • Anyone ever get an answer to this?  I've looked in 20+ threads and can't find anything that I have not already done.  Is an update coming?  Same as others: Windows 7 with Office 365.
    Friday, December 18, 2015 11:21 PM
  • Is there a solution to this? This is horrible. I cannot seem to attach any file in any manner using Outlook 2016. This is such a fundamental necessity!!!! I cannot believe it doesn't work! I am using Windows 7. Terribly frustrating!
    Monday, December 28, 2015 5:29 PM
  • I'm adding to the growing complaints about this all over Microsoft's community and support sites.  This is a completely ridiculous bug:

Started this AM: I CAN NOT attach files to Outlook 2016.

Can't attach files using the ribbon button OR drag and drop into email.  

Haven't tried to repair.

However, let me add that Office 2016 -- all of the apps -- is the buggiest version of Office ever released. And I've been using Office since the Stone Age.

Get it together, Microsoft.  I don't expect to be a beta tester.  Linda

• Proposed as answer by Samad 08 Saturday, January 02, 2016 5:11 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Samad 08 Saturday, January 02, 2016 5:11 AM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 2:48 PM
  • I have the same problem, started today not being able to attach a file. (It's been a few days since I had to attach a file)

You think you have attached the file but looking closely the file is not attached. At least there should be a warning message! Guess I should of stayed with an older version of Outlook.

The file is a 9 MB file which I have attached previously (2015) many times.
    Monday, January 04, 2016 7:15 PM
  • I've been having a similar problem to some here, and it appears there are two things going on for folks - some have the 'rapidly-vanishing-attach-menu' problem, and some have the 'ignore-any-attempt-to-attach-file' problem. On Win8.1/Office16/365 I do not have the first one, but I do have the second one. Browsing for a file from the attach button, or drag-and-drop a file into the message (reply or new) does nothing - or appears to do nothing...

That was till somebody pointed out a fix they'd been suggested: change the email format from plain text to html

That fixed it for me. Since my default format for new messages was html I only saw this bug on replies to plain text messages.

Also note, you need to 'pop out' the message to find that format-text menu option (wth?)

Hope that's useful for some folks googling (or binging) a solution to this. 

M.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 12:59 AM
  • Here is a work around that resolves the issue… for a period of time.

1. Close Outlook.
    2. Close and save all Word & Excel files.
    3. Open a blank document in Word.
    4. Go to, File – Account.
    5. Select, Sign out.
    6. Now select, Sign in.
      Note: If asked, select either your Work account or Microsoft account as appropriate.

You can now open Outlook and attach files as normal.

I can't take credit for this as I found I it on another forum, unfortunately I can't find it again so my apologies to the person who came up with this solution.
    • Proposed as answer by Scuffman Tuesday, January 12, 2016 6:06 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 6:06 AM
  • For me, if Im trying to send in plain text it appears the file did not attach, however when I switch to HTML, there it is.

When I change back to plain text, again the attachment field disappears.  But it seems the attachment is in fact there.

Friday, January 15, 2016 10:32 AM
  • This worked for me, thank you

Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:48 AM
  • Had the same problem,

found advice to delete MicrosoftOffice16_Data credentials (3 of them) in user account in Control Panel.

Worked for me, did not have to Sign out / Sign in in Outlook / Office Account.

• Edited by AN2005 Friday, May 13, 2016 9:47 PM
    Friday, May 13, 2016 9:46 PM
  • This method work for me since we use network drives that are associated with 365. My only guess is that it is having issues verifying the network location and fails. Which is why logging out and back in resolves the issue for me.
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 5:47 PM
  • Six months and still no solution to this problem. Microsoft just doesn't care, as long as they get paid monthly. I am being charged monthly, and I cannot use Outlook 2016. I first encountered this when they first launched Outlook 2016. Since no one had any solution then, I downgraded back to Outlook 2013. Now decided to try Outlook 2016 again, and THE PROBLEM IS STILL NOT SOLVED. MICROSOFT JUST DOESN'T CARE!!!!!
    Monday, June 27, 2016 7:32 AM
  • A fix we are using on user's computer is:

On windows 7  open start

Search for Credential manager 

Look for "Generic credentials"

remove all the Generic credentials by clicking the arrow and then click Remove from Vault

(this are credentials outlook and lync store to just open the application without asking for password)

Restart outlook if you have it open, It may ask for the username and password

After this steps you should be able to see the Attach file menu with the recent files 

Hope this help you

• Proposed as answer by Bryannnn Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:49 PM
    Friday, July 08, 2016 4:37 PM
  • Great Job!

This one is working for me! 

Thank you!

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 4:40 PM
  • This worked for me, thank you.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:18 PM
  • A fix we are using on user's computer is:

On windows 7  open start

remove all the Generic credentials by clicking the arrow and then click Remove from Vault

(this are credentials outlook and lync store to just open the application without asking for password)

After this steps you should be able to see the Attach file menu with the recent files 

Hope this help you

Worked for us as well on Windows 10. Removed all Generic credentials marked Microsoft_Office_16. Left the others and all is good.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 3:39 PM
  • Not sure if this was answered, but I found that I had the same issue with a user.  I found out that if you disable the add-on Adobe Send and Track that seems to fix the issue.  
    Monday, October 10, 2016 7:43 PM
  • I had the same problem. When I turned off all google docs extensions from browser plugins it worked again. Just disable all extensions other than add blockers. 
    Friday, October 21, 2016 7:18 PM
  • Thank you, this worked for me!
    Friday, October 21, 2016 7:34 PM
  • This worked for my and solved the problem.  Thanks!!!!
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 5:15 PM
  • This worked for us, too.  Thanks so much. 
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 6:51 PM
  • You can alternatively log out of your office 365 account from the Account window (click on your name in the right side of the title bar).  Sign out and then sign back in.  Fixed.  I just did it on someone's computer that had the same problem.  That's the first thing I did and it worked. 

• Proposed as answer by Thanatos999 Monday, December 12, 2016 9:48 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2016 9:47 PM
  • This also worked with Windows 10 Office 2016

open start

• Edited by AndrosShawn Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:34 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:34 PM
  • Its work for me....Thanks a lot...
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:57 AM
  • Works

Thanks

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:25 PM
  • This fix worked for me, Office 2016 Enterprise, Outlook 2016 x64 and Windows 10, thank you!

I also removed my onedrive account setting.

Friday, February 17, 2017 10:44 PM
  • This worked perfectly - I removed all that said "Microsoft Office 2016".
    Closed outlook, then reopened - typed in the password and was good to go, I can finally accept meetings and attach documents without wanting to throw my computer out the window
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:50 PM
  • I disabled all add-ons first and it did not solve it for me
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:50 PM
  • Thanks Scuffman!! This fixed me.  Hey Microsoft.  This is a "blocker" bug - meaning we can't use your product.  Fix them before you release them!
    Monday, March 06, 2017 5:11 PM
  • This resolved my issue we were experiencing with a number of Office accounts in a Citrix environment.

This answer should be ranked higher or set as the proposed answer.

A+, Network+, Server+, MCSA, MCTS, MCITP, MCP, MCDST. "An expert is somebody who knows more and more about less and less until the moment he knows everything about nothing" - Michel van Rijn

Thursday, March 09, 2017 11:15 PM
  • @Steve Fan, this is NOT the resolution to this issue.  Please correct your 'Proposed as answer by' and mark Scuffman's response as the accurate answer.

A+, Network+, Server+, MCSA, MCTS, MCITP, MCP, MCDST. "An expert is somebody who knows more and more about less and less until the moment he knows everything about nothing" - Michel van Rijn

Thursday, March 09, 2017 11:16 PM
  • 

We have been experiencing this issue a lot as well. The fix that I have been implementing until a "permanent" fix comes along is: 1) Have your finger on the "B" key 2) Click on the "Insert or Attach File", and 3) Immediately after you click, press the "B" key on your keyboard. This brings up the "browse" option to look for the file(s) that you wish to insert or attach.

• Proposed as answer by Ron426 Monday, March 13, 2017 9:11 PM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 9:07 PM
  • Rookie6521's reply below fixed the issue for our client: sign out office account and sign back in again in Outlook > File > Office Account.
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:43 AM