empty Deleted Items Folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a custom Deleted Items Retention policy of 5 years. We also have in-place hold for all mailboxes for 5 years for eDiscovery purposes.  

The value set for "Keep deleted items for (days):" is the default, 14 days for each Database. This is obsolete because of the retention and in-place holds, therefore, emails in the "Deleted Items" folder keeps piling up unless users manually purge them. 

Is there a way to empty "Deleted Items" Folder (not Recoverable Items\Deletions) in each user's mailbox without editing any retention/hold setting? PS command maybe?

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 5:44 PM

Answers

• You misunderstand how this works.

A user deletes an item from the Inbox or somewhere else.  It goes into Deleted Items.  Items will stay there forever unless you employ some method like MRM (see links in my previous post) to purge them.  The Deleted Items folder counts against a user's mailbox quota.

When items are purged from Deleted Items (or shift-Deleted from any other folder) they go into Recoverable Deleted Items (formerly and also known as the Dumpster).  It is this container that is subject to the deleted item recovery period setting on the database or mailbox.  Items in the Dumpster do not count against a user's mailbox quota.

Once objects are purged from the Dumpster, if the user is on litigation or in-place hold, they go into secondary dumpster folders, where they are searchable but not user-recoverable.

One of the links I gave you explains this process.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by MF47 Friday, November 13, 2015 12:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by BlackmountainUSA Friday, November 13, 2015 4:45 PM
    Friday, November 13, 2015 12:35 AM

All replies

• "Keep deleted items for (days)" applies to the dumpster, not the Deleted Items folder.  Further, it's not moot because the in-place hold keeps the items but those don't show in the dumpster, which should disappear from the user's view of the dumpster after the five days but still be subject to the in-place hold.  I strongly recommend you raise that number from five days back up to fourteen or thirty to reduce requests for restoration of mailbox data, especially since you are using in-place holds (why not litigation holds?), which means that keeping items in the dumpster doesn't increase your mailbox database sizes at all?

You can employ Mailbox Records Management (MRM) to empty the Deleted Items folder.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/09/28/in-place-ediscovery-and-in-place-hold-in-the-new-exchange-part-ii.aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335093(v=exchg.150).aspx

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Edited by Ed CrowleyMVP Thursday, November 12, 2015 1:14 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Lynn-Li Thursday, November 12, 2015 2:04 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2015 1:12 AM
  • Thanks for your response Ed. We prefer in-place hold in order to have more granular eDiscovery capabilities, due to our organization policy. 

When I look at users' mailboxes, they have items from last year in their Deleted Items Folder, keep piling up. On the other hand, items in dumpster go back as early as 14 days (due to Keep Deleted Items 14 days setting per DB) So this is kind of unintended where emails are not even purged from Deleted Items Folder.

What I would like to accomplish is to periodically purge users' Deleted Items Folder, regardless the dumpster retention setting. 

Now, if I change DeletedItems Retention Policy (5 years), say to 14 days; 

will this clean users' Deleted Items Folder after 14 days where deleted emails still can be searched for 5 years because in-place hold is applied?

Sorry, hope I make any sense...

Thursday, November 12, 2015 3:39 PM
  • You misunderstand how this works.

A user deletes an item from the Inbox or somewhere else.  It goes into Deleted Items.  Items will stay there forever unless you employ some method like MRM (see links in my previous post) to purge them.  The Deleted Items folder counts against a user's mailbox quota.

When items are purged from Deleted Items (or shift-Deleted from any other folder) they go into Recoverable Deleted Items (formerly and also known as the Dumpster).  It is this container that is subject to the deleted item recovery period setting on the database or mailbox.  Items in the Dumpster do not count against a user's mailbox quota.

Once objects are purged from the Dumpster, if the user is on litigation or in-place hold, they go into secondary dumpster folders, where they are searchable but not user-recoverable.

One of the links I gave you explains this process.

• Proposed as answer by MF47 Friday, November 13, 2015 12:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by BlackmountainUSA Friday, November 13, 2015 4:45 PM
    Friday, November 13, 2015 12:35 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the clarification. 
    Friday, November 13, 2015 4:49 PM
  • You're welcome.  Happy to have helped.

Friday, November 13, 2015 5:21 PM