none
Visual Reports times out when attempting to create OLAP Cube or Excel Pivot Sheet. RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm bringing this discussion over from another forum.  From my searches I'm seeing a lot of other people with this issue.  I will repost it below.  I do have the 2008 R2 ASOLEDB 10.1.2531.0 update and Visio 2010 SP1 installed.  I am exploring to see if the issue is caused by something in the Project file but not sure how to figure that out.  My original question is posted below:

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++

    When attempting to use Visual Reports, Project Std 2010 will conduct the "Gathering reporting data" process and produce and error of "An unknown error has occured. An error occured and the requested action could not be completed at this time"

    We are running Project 2010 32bit (14.0.6023.1000) SP1 MSO (14.0.6112.5000). Office Pro 2010 SP1 is installed also. The problem occurs on the following operating systems:

    Windows XP SP3

    Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1

    Server 2008 R2 SP1

    The Project file is 1.78MBs and has 211 tasks

    The error produces the following event log:

    Log Name: OAlerts
    Source: Microsoft Office 14 Alerts
    Date: 12/12/2011 6:29:27 PM
    Event ID: 300
    Task Category: None
    Level: Information
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: pc.company.local
    Description:
    Microsoft Project
    An unknown error has occurred.

    An error occurred and the requested action could not be completed at this time.
    P1: 905941
    P2: 14.0.6029.1000
    P3:
    P4:

    I suspect there is something in the Project file that it doesn't like but we are unable to determine what it is. How do we resolve this as it is essentially preventing us from being able to use Project fully.

    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:20 PM

Answers

  • Riverbank,

    There is a related post at, http://social.msdn.microsoft.com:80/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/ee336ca6-ceaa-4ba0-a391-c1afb942affb.

    The user sent me their file and I can reproduce a problem with the Baseline Cost Report. It may or may not be related to using Cost type resources. I am still investigating. If I find something concrete I will post my findings under that thread.

    John

    Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:52 PM

All replies

  • >> Project 2010 32bit (14.0.6023.1000)

    Pls install the latest updates and try again. Pls post back if it does not work.

    Friday, December 16, 2011 5:09 PM
  • What other updates are available.  I don't see any via Microsoft Update.  When I click on About Microsoft Project it shows:

    Microsoft Project 2010 (14.0.6023.1000) SP1 MSO (14.0.6112.5000)

    Saturday, December 17, 2011 2:00 AM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2596495
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2597006
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 9:24 AM
  • Thanks will give it a try Monday AM.  Is there a way to be notified when hotfixes for Project are made available?
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 9:30 AM
  • You're welcome. This is Update Center: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587

    Please note that --

    Considering the issue posted, there may be no corresponding issue listed in a Knowledge Base article (support.microsoft.com/kb/<article_number>) of a Hotfix but it is a good practice to have the latest updates since all the fixes may not be listed.

    Pls install them and then pls post back for feedback.



    Saturday, December 17, 2011 9:50 AM
  • I have the same issue, all the latest updates are installed.
    Friday, December 30, 2011 6:50 AM
  • I have the same issue, all the latest updates are installed.
    Do you experience the same error condition with all of the mpp files ? How is your environment (Operating System, Office and Project information) ?

    Friday, December 30, 2011 10:32 AM
  • I am having the same issue. Using Project 2010 Pro with latest updates installed along with Office 2010 Pro with latest updates.

    I have a file approx 4MB large, when trying to run the report on a Windows 7 Pro 32b (latest updates also), the same error appears. I did experience this issue previously which was fixed by updating Project 2007 to Project 2010, but now both office and project are 2010 I am getting the same issue.

    It's odd it is not happening to all my project documents, some newly created ones (which are alot smaller) seem to cope with this process.

     

    Any help much appreciated.

     

    Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:30 PM
  • If possible, pls send me the file at projectuser-at-fastmail.fm. I'll try to reproduce the problem.

    Thanks.

    Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Riverbank,

    There is a related post at, http://social.msdn.microsoft.com:80/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/ee336ca6-ceaa-4ba0-a391-c1afb942affb.

    The user sent me their file and I can reproduce a problem with the Baseline Cost Report. It may or may not be related to using Cost type resources. I am still investigating. If I find something concrete I will post my findings under that thread.

    John

    Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

    I just corrected homework from a MS-Project course I held and some students expierienced this issue. Looking at the projects I'm pretty sure it's this simple:

    Add a Cost-Resource to a Task and dont specify the amount of it, but manually put the value into the Cost-Coloumn (in Gantt-view) instead --> Error

    Add the Cost-Resource with amount and don't touch the Cost-Coloumn in Gantt-view --> No Error

    Would post a pic but my account isn't verified yet:

    Gantt-view

    Task----Ressources-----Cost

    Good---CostRes[200€]-200€

    Bad-----CostRes---------200€


    • Edited by niltathra Monday, December 3, 2012 10:03 AM
    • Proposed as answer by niltathra Monday, December 3, 2012 10:03 AM
    Monday, December 3, 2012 10:02 AM