Cannot get harddrive to initilise, or showup on desktop RRS feed

• Question

• My HP Vista Entertainment laptop's motherboard 'died' and I removed the D: drive, placed it in a 2.5 enclosure and it worked beautifully connected to the USB port of my wife's HP Vista laptop.

I then went to my office next day and plugged it into my desktop, forgetting that the CPU is an XP platform...yet it worked. That evening when I got home, and since then, ir appears in the task bar of both computers, starts but has not since opened up on the desk-top nor appears in the My Computer window. Device Manager recognises it and indicates that its drivers are functional.

How can I get it to be functional once more when plugged into a Vista Platform? It is a Western Digital 160.0GB drive. Manufacture date Jan 2008. I need to access my office and University class work but cannot.

Please help.

afridayben0253...(Arthur)

Friday, March 25, 2011 8:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Are you saying it now does not work in any of the computers? Or that it only does not work
    in the Vista computer?

If it does not work on any of the computers double check the connections in the drive case
    as something is probably not making a good connection.

If it is just a problem with Vista possibly the case is not Vista compliant or there is an issue
    with the USB on that computer.

We need more detailed specific information to be able to offer better help.

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
    • Marked as answer by afridayben0253 Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:09 PM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

Is it appearing in Disk Management? If not, we may need to rebuild Partition table by third party software. Your understanding is appreciated.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Unmarked as answer by afridayben0253 Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:09 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

Well since the C: drive works the enclosure is working so the problem has to be
    with the D: drive when in the enclosure. Does the D: work when hooked directly
    internally? The drive could have developed an issue.... also if there are any
    jumpers on the drive then compare those on the D: to the working C: .

Has to be something with the drive.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you saying it now does not work in any of the computers? Or that it only does not work
    in the Vista computer?

If it does not work on any of the computers double check the connections in the drive case
    as something is probably not making a good connection.

If it is just a problem with Vista possibly the case is not Vista compliant or there is an issue
    with the USB on that computer.

We need more detailed specific information to be able to offer better help.

Hope this helps.

Friday, March 25, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

Is it appearing in Disk Management? If not, we may need to rebuild Partition table by third party software. Your understanding is appreciated.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Unmarked as answer by afridayben0253 Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:09 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Hi Magon Liu,

I previously checked Disk Drives in Device Manager, but I checked once more as I saw your response a while ago. I found it showing up as 'USB Drive'. I then populated it under the Volume Tab and the 'status' is 'NOT INITIALIZED', AND type is recorded as 'UNKNOWN'.

Regardless of all this, the drive does not show up on the monitor nor in 'My Computer' still. So far nothing I do seems to initialize it; but then I am simply a well informed user and not a computer technician.

Any further advice will be appreciated.

Arthur

afridayben0253
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:44 PM
  • Hi Rob,

It does not work on any of the platforms after the initial use as i specified in my opening thread.

The case works fine as the OS Drive from the said laptop immediately initialises in the said enclosure when plugged into my wife's HP Vista laptop (note- the OS drive has never been plugged into any other platform but VISTA as I do not wish for a repeat of the error); so good connection is being made by both to the enclosure.

I had responded to you some days ago but I do not see that response here so i am wondering whether you got it at all? So here goes: The case, iMicro brand, is compliant; it supports 2.5" SATA&IDE HDD up to 500GB/ High Speed transfer rate up to 480Mbps/ External Interface-USB 2.0/ Internal Interface: IDE & SATA.

Arthur

afridayben0253
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:59 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry no other response was recorded in this thread.

You are still mixing your terms.

The case works fine as the OS drive in the laptop? You mean the drive works in the laptop
    when you boot directly to the drive?

The OS drive has been been plugged into any other platform but Vista? You mean the drive
    only has had Vista on it? Not important if he drive is being plugged in as USB external drive.

If the "Case" will not connect to either the Vista or XP computer then the drive or case must
    have developed an issue.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:15 PM
  • SpiritX MS MVP,

Lets see if I can be clearer:

* HP Pavilion Laptop (Windows Vista)Main Board malfunctioned (DIED)

* Both hard drives, C: DRIVE with the OS and the other with my saved work etc (D:) - both are 165GB each

* I bought an External HDD Enclosure - and tested both hard drives plugged into it attached to my wife's HP Pavilion (Windows Vista Platform) and

they both worked

* Plugged the D: drive into a Desk top computer (XP) next day and the information stored showed up, did work and then went home

* Plugged D: drive via external enclosure into HP Laptop (Windows Vista) at home and it did not initialize then nor since

* Each time I place the C: drive into the external enclosure and plug into my wife's lap top, it works, so i am sure that the external enclosure is

functioning well and therefore the problem is with the D:Drive.

If you say that it matters not what type of platform , XP, VISTA whatever the external USB drive enclosure is plugged into, what then could have

caused a malfunction? How can it be rectified? That's the million dollar question.

Arthur

afridayben0253
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:56 AM
  • Hi,

Well since the C: drive works the enclosure is working so the problem has to be
    with the D: drive when in the enclosure. Does the D: work when hooked directly
    internally? The drive could have developed an issue.... also if there are any
    jumpers on the drive then compare those on the D: to the working C: .

Has to be something with the drive.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:41 AM
  • To all you guys who responded to my thread, thanks a million. I took the laptop to an authorized repairer, where I had purchased it, and they will give me feed back on their work in a few days. I'll keep you posted.

Arthur

afridayben0253
    Friday, April 1, 2011 10:24 PM