none
DPM 2012 R2, SQL 2012 SP1 (standalone) installation headaches! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am hoping someone may be able to help. I have been using DPM since 2007. I have used all versions up to DPM 2012SP1. Today I began a fresh standalone installation for DPM2012R2 to support our Server 2012R2 Hyper-V environment.

I am installing DPM2012R2 on a physical server, loaded with Windows 2012 R2. I began the installation and immediatly noticed it no longer was giving me an option to install SQL... Ok... So I installed SQL 2012 SP1. Once competed I attempted the DPM install again. I immediatly received errors regarding the SQL and SQL Agent services not running with correct account. So I then added them to Local Service. thos messages went away. However I still had an error for SIS and SQL reporting. Once I changed the SQL reporting service to Network and re-ran the pre-req DPM allowed me to continue the installation.

Once at the end DPM informed my of error 812. "Verify the SQL Services Reporting Services are installed properly and running". From everything I have looked at they are?!? After acknowledging this error the installer stops, crashes and then I recieve a Debug screen.

I managed to find an earlier post where another person was experiencing the same problem. They installed IIS and changed the SQL and SQL Agent services to domain user. I have tried this but still get the same 812 error???

I am at the point where i am ready to completley uninstall, install 2012SP1 and try an upgrade, but am afraid of the problems there.

So when this product was created, was there any testing done. Is there any installation documents that can be shared. Any steps or pre-requisites (installations, roles, features, domain accounts, local accounts) anything that can help. Looking at the log this is the error:

[11/27/2013 3:18:56 PM] * Exception :  => System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Library.Reporting.ReportingException: exception ---> System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key that is used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ReportServerDisabledException: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key that is used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Keyset does not exist (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80090016)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ReportingService2005Impl.FindItems(String Folder, BooleanOperatorEnum BooleanOperator, Property[] SearchOptions, SearchCondition[] Conditions, ServerCompatLevel compatLevel, CatalogItemList& Items)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportingService2005.FindItems(String Folder, BooleanOperatorEnum BooleanOperator, SearchCondition[] Conditions, CatalogItem[]& Items)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Reporting.ReportingService2005.FindItems(String Folder, BooleanOperatorEnum BooleanOperator, SearchCondition[] Conditions)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Library.Reporting.Reporter.SearchItemInServer(String itemName, String itemPath)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Library.Reporting.Reporter.SearchItemInServer(String itemName, String itemPath)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Library.Reporting.Reporter.CreateReportRootFolder(String serverName, String instanceName, Boolean recreate)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Library.Reporting.Reporter.InstallReports(Boolean calledFromSetup, String sourceFolderPath, String sqlServerName, String sqlInstanceName, String dbConnectionString)
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ReportingConfiguration.DeployReports(Boolean isRemoteReporting, String sqlMachineName, String sqlInstanceName, String rsMachineName, String rsInstanceName, String installerPath)
    [11/27/2013 3:18:56 PM] * Exception :  => Report configuration failed.Verify that SQL Server Reporting Services is installed properly and that it is running.Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Exceptions.BackEndErrorException: exception ---> Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Exceptions.ReportDeploymentException: exception ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Library.Reporting.ReportingException: exception ---> System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key that is used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ReportServerDisabledException: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key that is used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Keyset does not exist (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80090016)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ReportingService2005Impl.FindItems(String Folder, BooleanOperatorEnum BooleanOperator, Property[] SearchOptions, SearchCondition[] Conditions, ServerCompatLevel compatLevel, CatalogItemList& Items)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportingService2005.FindItems(String Folder, BooleanOperatorEnum BooleanOperator, SearchCondition[] Conditions, CatalogItem[]& Items)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Reporting.ReportingService2005.FindItems(String Folder, BooleanOperatorEnum BooleanOperator, SearchCondition[] Conditions)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Library.Reporting.Reporter.CreateReportRootFolder(String serverName, String instanceName, Boolean recreate)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Library.Reporting.Reporter.InstallReports(Boolean calledFromSetup, String sourceFolderPath, String sqlServerName, String sqlInstanceName, String dbConnectionString)
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ReportingConfiguration.DeployReports(Boolean isRemoteReporting, String sqlMachineName, String sqlInstanceName, String rsMachineName, String rsInstanceName, String installerPath)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.BackEnd.DeployReports(String reportserverConfigFilePath, Boolean isOemSetup, String sqlMachineName, String sqlInstanceName, Boolean isRemoteReporting, String reportingServerMachineName, String reportingInstanceName)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.BackEnd.DeployReports(String reportserverConfigFilePath, Boolean isOemSetup, String sqlMachineName, String sqlInstanceName, Boolean isRemoteReporting, String reportingServerMachineName, String reportingInstanceName)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.DpmInstaller.DeployReports(Boolean isRemoteReporting, Boolean isUpgrade)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.InstallerThreadEntry()
    *** Mojito error was: ReportDeploymentFailed; 0; None
    [11/27/2013 3:18:56 PM] *** Error : Report configuration failed.

Verify that SQL Server Reporting Services is installed properly and that it is running.

ID: 812
    [11/27/2013 3:18:56 PM] Information : Data Protection Manager installation has failed. All the items that were copied during the installation process have been removed.
    For details, click the Error tab.

Anyone with any siggestions on what to do with this SQL Reporting / encryption key issue, or anyone who has had a SUCCESSFUL "fresh" install... PLEASE your help would be appreciated.

frustrated

James

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:29 PM

All replies

• Update:

I have managed to get DPM 2012 R2 installed. However I have not attempted to open. To correct my 812 issue I was experiencing I changed SQL, SQL Agent and Reporting service to a domain user account. Please note that in order to change the reporting service name you must use the SQL report Manager tool (new). When you attempt this it asks where you would like to save the encryption key. When I selected a location it would fail.

To rectify this I tried to perform a encryption key backup. This also failed but thankfully suggested that I delete all encryption. Done (button at bottom of window). I then tried changing the service name to domain user, it asked me to save encyrtion key again, this time it was successful. Service name changed, the service restarted.

I then re-ran DPM setup. Green check marks at the end!!!! So at the moment the install was successful, but as I mentioned I have not opened the app.

James

• Proposed as answer by Chris.McCord Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:32 PM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 3:38 PM
  • I've come across this myself and at the moment didn't get past the SQL reports error but haven't really looked into it further.

I think it is really poor that the auto-install and config of SQL has been removed from the install routines, it saved a lot of messing about and I prefer to have the SQL instance locally.  It looks like MS is trying to push us to a central repository.

Jeff

Friday, November 29, 2013 10:28 AM
  • Add me to the pool of folks surprised to see SQL removed from the DPM installer. Been trying to navigate the inconsistently versioned TechNet articles for DPM and I cant see any SQL requirement other than Std or Ent. Does that mean that Express is not an option? Will be less than cool if a full Std license is required to make DPM work :(
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:45 PM
  • All of the System Center 2012 RTM/SP1/R2 components come with built in licensing for SQL Standard edition anyway - so using Standard edition shouldn't be a problem.

As long as the instance of SQL Standard edition that you install is only being used by System Center 2012 components (and you are properly licensed for System Center obviously) then there is no additional licensing requirements for SQL Standard.

Cheers,
    David

Friday, December 13, 2013 11:10 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, David. Happy to hear that. Is that documented somewhere?
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 12:01 PM
  • First, James, your directions were spot on for getting it installed.  The changing of the reporting service did it for me.  Thank you!

Second, Z. Petersen - Yes.  It's actually in the System Center 2012 licensing guide.

9. Are there separate offerings without SQL Server Technology?  

No. All System Center 2012 products include the right to run a runtime version of SQL Server Technology (SQL Server Standard Edition) to support System Center so there are no longer separate offerings.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/7/0/870B5D9B-ACF1-4192-BD0A-543AF551B7AE/System%20Center%202012%20Licensing%20FAQ.pdf

• Edited by Chris.McCord Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:32 PM addition info
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. Very helpful.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 10:13 PM
  • This may sound obvious, but what you also need to do is run the SQL reporting service and configure the database. Mine was failing at this stage until I had done that.
    Sunday, February 2, 2014 8:50 AM