Re-Located Guest on Virtual Server 2005 Can't See Network RRS feed

• Question

• I am testing the migration of a Windows Server 2003 virtual machine from one Virtual Server 2005 R2 host to another Virtual Server 2005 R2 host.  However, I am running into a problem.  Here's what I've got so far:
    • The Virtual Machine runs fine on its old host.
    • When the virtual machine is run on its new host, it can ping the new host but cannot ping anything outside the host, or access anything network related.
    • I can remote into the VM on the new host (through the Virtual server 2005 R2 administration website).
    • The new host has no problems accessing any network resources.
    • "Virtual Machine Network Services" are attached to the network adapter, and are selected, on both the old host and the new host.
    • Windows Firewalls are disabled on both the hosts as well as the VM.
    • I tried creating a new VMC on the new host and having it attach to the existing copied VHD.  Same result.
    • The versions of Virtual Server 2005 R2 are exactly the same between the two hosts.
    • The two hosts are on the same subnet.
    • The two hosts are visible to the rest of the network, and can access the rest of the network.
    What am I missing on this new host that is preventing network access from the VM?  I'm sure it's something simple, but I'm out of ideas.

Edit:

• I built a brand new Windows Server 2003 virtual machine on the new host from ISOs and this machine has the same result.  It can only ping its host machine IP address.
    Thanks,
    Andrew

• Edited by FirstDivision Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:50 PM Add new info
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:43 PM

Answers

• We installed Virtual Server 2005 on a different server and it works fine.  So I guess there's something unique about the original server (it is a little old, I'm guessing the NIC) that makes it not want to work.

Whatever....I'm just glad it's working now and I can proceed...

Monday, May 2, 2011 8:08 PM

All replies

• have you selected the correct NIC in the virtual machine's settings?  If you moved the VM, you need to make sure that the correct NIC on the new host is selected to connect the VM's emulated NIC.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:33 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, as far as know I have.  The only options are:

• Not Connected
    • External Network (Intel Pro_1000 MT Network Connection)
    • Internal Network

Currently the second option, External Network, is selected.

Friday, April 29, 2011 2:09 PM
  • right now, the only other thing I can think of is that your host firewall is blocking connections to the vm.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Hi,

The host firewall is disabled on the host, so it's not that.  I'm going to try connecting to a different switch next.  I read something about some switches being configured to only allow traffic to/from one IP/MAC.  I'm not real confident that it will have an effect, but we'll see.

I'll post results here...

Thanks,
    Andrew 

Monday, May 2, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Ok, tried the following:

• Plugged host machine into different switch
    • Updated host network driver

No effect.

Also, the two guest OSs can ping each other and their host both when attached to "Internal Network" and "External Network".  But they still cannot access anything past the host....

Monday, May 2, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Re-installed Virtual Server 2005 R2.  No change.
    Monday, May 2, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Set Virtual Server service to log on with host's local administrator account (instead of NETWORK SERVICE), as well as "local system account".  This had no effect.
    Monday, May 2, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Does your LAN have any restrictions?  LIke one MAC address per port, or similar that would prevent the VM's MAC from being allowed on the network?
    Monday, May 2, 2011 6:32 PM
  • We installed Virtual Server 2005 on a different server and it works fine.  So I guess there's something unique about the original server (it is a little old, I'm guessing the NIC) that makes it not want to work.

Whatever....I'm just glad it's working now and I can proceed...

Monday, May 2, 2011 8:08 PM