none
GPO - Loopback Processing Merge vs Replace

Question

• Hello everybody,

I would need to get things clearer regarding GPO Loopback Processing modes (Merge & Replace), since I am experiencing a quite tricky issue in my lab environment.

I actually 2 OUs: UsersUO (which contains all my users) and "Windows Computers" (which contains all my computers). I have configured a specific wallpaper and network drive for every users in UsersUO, which are working as expected.

What I wanna configure is blocking the control panel when users from UsersUO connect to a specific computer in "Windows Computers", by using loopback processing Merge mode. As a result I expect the user to keep its drive/wallpaper and prevent him from accessing the control panel on this specific PC.

However, when the Loopback GPO is configured (Windows Computers), I always get the control panel blocked BUT the drive and the wallpaper have both disappeared, no matter the GPO is configured as Merge or Replace. The replace behavior is always applied at the end, but GPResult on the client explicitly tells me that the Loopback mode is the one I configured.

I didn't configured any filtering/WMI filters etc... I am missing something?

Thank you in advance for help! :)

Saturday, November 21, 2015 4:36 PM

Answers

• > I actually 2 OUs: UsersUO (which contains all my users) and "Windows
    > Computers" (which contains all my computers). I have configured a
    > specific wallpaper and network drive for every users in UsersUO, which
    > are working as expected.

When using Loopback "Replace", your Wallpaper/Drive GPO will not be
    applied because it falls out of scope.

Wen using Loopback "Merge", make sure that "Domain computers" have read
    access to this Wallpaper/Drive GPO otherwise it will not be applied.

Monday, November 23, 2015 10:49 AM