Updating my Graphics Driver.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Well...My system crashed while playing a heavy graphics game.  I was told I needed to update the Intel Graphics driver (Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family) in order for the game to play smoothly.  The problem is that after I downloaded and installed the driver from Microsoft, I got this messge: The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer.  That would be Dell.  The obvious would be to go to Dell and download it, but I guess before I do that -I hope they have it and it's FREE- does anyone else suggest anything else or another place I can go?

Thanking you in advance,

Oceabrz

Monday, January 7, 2008 1:34 AM

Answers

• Hello Oceabrz,

Thanks for your post!

I agree that sometimes you need to get the proper driver from the computer manufacturer instead of chipset producer.

Fortunately, as I know, you can download the latest drivers from dell support website and that is generally free. I include the link for your convenience:

http://support.dell.com/

I recommend you to use Option 2: Get Support by Product, find the model of your computer, and then find the most updated drivers by clicking Drivers & Downloads.

If there isn’t updated driver to solve your issue, you may contact dell to report the situation you met. If possible, push them to release the updated version of driver.

I hope the issue can be fixed soon! Have a nice day, Oceabrz.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 6:23 AM

All replies

• Hello Oceabrz,

Thanks for your post!

I agree that sometimes you need to get the proper driver from the computer manufacturer instead of chipset producer.

Fortunately, as I know, you can download the latest drivers from dell support website and that is generally free. I include the link for your convenience:

http://support.dell.com/

I recommend you to use Option 2: Get Support by Product, find the model of your computer, and then find the most updated drivers by clicking Drivers & Downloads.

If there isn’t updated driver to solve your issue, you may contact dell to report the situation you met. If possible, push them to release the updated version of driver.

I hope the issue can be fixed soon! Have a nice day, Oceabrz.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 6:23 AM
  • You can try to find the latest driver version, also look at the date.
    Look at Dell web site and Intel before windows update.
    Sometimes, Windows Update downloads an older version or not exactily the best. (Generic Driver).
    If you goto Intel site you may have to click on the small print link that saids previous drivers.
    Eg. If you have 915GM, Vista will auto-install 945GM and have problems.
    915GM may only be availible for XP and before.
    Intel driver 945GM may include 915GM but may not install correctly unless you save install file to disk and
    right-click properties set compatible XP SP2 then ok and run as administrator.
    To make sure you have 945GM and not 915GM, start your computer and tap the F2 setup key.
    Read your BIOS information, Display and write it down.
    My Dell LapTop BIOS displayed Graphics 915GM 8MB and windows installed 945GM 128MB.
    Most XP sp2 will run in Vista if you set the install file as compatible XP sp2 before running it.
    The program thinks it is running in XP and Vista runs it in a XP compatible way.

If this helps let me know.
    sigabot@hotmail.com

• Proposed as answer by SIGABOT Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:55 AM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:52 AM