Screensaver time changes when Laptop uses dockingstation ( company with 6k pces ) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody! Our company has a very weird issue that i need to fix as soon as possible as it poses a security threat. Help is much appriciated. 

We are using WIndows 7 on our client computers. All drivers including BIOS, chipset etc are updated on the PC i used for testing.  

The screensaver time is set to 10 minutes on all clients. On the stationary computers, this works fine. It also works fine on all the Laptops ( different models,  HP and Lenovo ).. until they are put in a dockingstation. While in docking, depending on wether a cordless mouse or one with a cord is used - screensaver activates at different times. 

Screensaver set to 5 minutes / in docking = Activates after 5 minutes with both cordless mouse , and regular mouse

Screensaver set to 6 minutes / in docking = Activates after 11:10 with cordless mouse, 11:07 with regular mouse

Screensaver set to 7 minutes / in docking = Activates after 12:10 with cordless mouse, 7 minutes with regular one

Screensaver set to 8 minutes / in docking = Activates after 13:10 with cordless mouse, 8 minutes with a regular one

The screensaver value in windows remains the same all the time ( excpent when i changed it for test purposes ). I have reviewed the power plan, setting in registry and made sure there arnt any applications disrupting the screensaver.  It looks to me like something is happening after 5 mins and 10 sek that prolongs the screensaver trigger. Im trying to get some info through the event viewer but i havent found anything useful as of yet. 

I would HIGHLY appriciate some advice. Is there a log somewhere about why a screensaver countdown was disrupted?

Reards, 

Marius 

Thursday, November 10, 2016 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Very odd, never seen this issue before. First of all, please put in dockingstation then set screensaver again, check if it helps.

It looks like you have found related registry settings. If the issue persists, We could audit registry entry to find who change this, please check the following link for detailed information.
    Monitoring when registry keys are modified
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/cobold/2011/11/29/monitoring-when-registry-keys-are-modified/

In addition, we could boot into clean boot environment to have a try, check if it is related to third party applications and services.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 11, 2016 9:06 AM
  • Hi rick_Li, 

Thank you for your help! I did mess around with Process Monitor, which by the way is a VERY interesting piece of software. However, since i dont know what process/setting i am looking out for,  the software didnt help. The screensaver time remains 10 minutes at all tmes, its just the time it actually activates that differs.

Do you maybe know of a specific registry entry that changes when the "coutdown" towards enabling the screensaver is abrupted? If i only managed to _where_ in windows this cowntdown is happening, and what exactly prevents it , it would solve this issue. 

I also tried a clean boot but it didnt help. There arnt any wrong/faulty settings, as when i undock the PC the issue disapears , with exact same settings. 

I am soon at a point where i dont have anything to troubleshoot anymore ....

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 7:22 AM
  • Hi , 

I have tried to capture the registry entry related to "cout down", I only found this similar registry rentry, not sure if it is what you are looking for. Please check it, hope it helps.
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\SecureTimeLimits\RunTime]

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 9:48 AM