BSOD when uploading files online - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 0x0000001e ntoskrnl.exe+75b80 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Update: Below is link to SkyDrive folder containing the minidumps:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9A24A94985B64511!197&authkey=!AExzMCw7F43OTTU

I'm helping my parents solve a BSOD error that occurs every time they try to upload a file online using a web-browser. It happens when trying to attach items in hotmail emails aswell. Note that this is the only cause of the BSOD - of what I know it never happens for any other reason.

I've read around for some time now and it seems the best I can do is ask for help for my specific case, since this BSOD seems to happen for so many reasons.

Here is a list of what I have tried so far - the problem remains.

• Updated Windows using Windows Update
    • Updated as many drivers as i could (using auto-search)
    • Uninstalled safety programs (AVG and tried uploading - still BSOD.
    • Started in Safety-Mode. The problem did NOT occur while in Safety-Mode, which people say indicates 3rd party software is causing the error.
    • Searched for Viruses and Malware using Microsoft Security Essentials (no luck)
    • Searched in threads regarding this problem, but have not found any about this specific cause (uploading)

I guess my next step would be to shutting off the windows-firewall and the recently installed MSE and try again. But aside from that, please give me ideas for troubleshooting. I'm not used to troubleshooting errors on this level.

Given the fact that there is a well defined action that causes this (uploading files online), what are your ideas of what the source of this BSOD should be?

Many people advocate updating BIOS - I do not know how to do this, do you know any site that helps with this?

Thankful for your help,

Kim

• Edited by Kim-Lingon Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:22 AM
    Sunday, September 15, 2013 2:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• It seems the reason is a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch,  See info posted @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557408%28v=vs.85%29.aspx  It does not appear there is a quick and easy fix.  Your problem requires intensive troubleshooting and diagnostics.

Also, read the thread @ http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/blue-screen-kmodeexceptionnothandled-0x0000001e/66c03dd7-6db3-46b1-a0f7-59a42a32f418  "If the errors are consistently a "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1e)" error there is a good chance the problem is an errant third party driver."

More information by Microsoft @ http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=183169&sd=RMVP

To get the correct procedure to update the system BIOS you must go to the support website of the computer, or motherboard, manufacturer and obtain the detailed instructions posted by the manufacturer.  The manufacturer's instructions will have step-by-step instructions for you to follow.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, September 15, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Kim

Without the DMP files (or perhaps event viewer logs) we cant offer much help. 

Since it does not occur in safe mode it is Most probably a 3rd party driver.  You can find out which by running driver verifier.  We still will need the DMP files from when verifier was running

Driver verifier
    Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition.
    Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is, but sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver.
    Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
    Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Here is the procedure:

Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next
    Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
    Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" 
    For Win 8 dont check Concurrency stress test, and DDI compliance checking click "Next"
    Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
    Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
    Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.

Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. 
    The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. 
    If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
    If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Further Reading
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Sunday, September 15, 2013 5:01 PM
  • *BUMP*

I have linked to a folder containíng the minidumps in the first post. Posting it here aswell:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9A24A94985B64511!197&authkey=!AExzMCw7F43OTTU

As a last resort - Since a 3rd party driver is probably the problem, re-installing Windows should help, correct?

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:25 AM
  • KL

These were related to memory as I suggested before.  You need to run verifier to be certain but my best guess is they are Related to ksecdd.sys Kernel Security Support Provider Interface from Microsoft Corporation

It could either be the remnants of Symantec still present of AVG causing it.   Only verifier can say for sure.

To remove Symantec's remnants

AVG removal

AVG  can be a contributing cause of BSOD'S.
    Please remove and replace with Microsoft Security Essentials at least to test.

• Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Monday, September 23, 2013 4:54 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:44 AM
  • Hello,

It seems like the problem has been fixed! Unfortunately I do not know exactly what action fixed it. It could have been one of 3 things.

• I removed Symantec Remnants
    • I removed AVG Remnants
    • I updated the USB port drivers and HUB - since they were not working correctly.

Since I did not test in between these actions I cant say for sure what caused it. But I guess some Norton360 or AVG remnants is highly probable.

So, thanks alot for the fast replies!

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Monday, September 23, 2013 6:58 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 2:46 PM
  • KL

Glad you are making progress.  Let us know if you need further help.

Monday, September 23, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Hello, can you help me with my random bsod problems? 

Monday, October 7, 2013 1:36 PM
  • We do need the actual DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.  

WE NEED AT LEAST TWO DMP FILES TO SPOT TRENDS AND CONFIRM THE DIAGNOSIS.

If you are overclocking (pushing the components beyond their design) you should revert to default at least until the crashing is solved. If you dont know what it is you probably are not overclocking.
    You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.
    If you are overclocking stop.  (chances are if you dont know if you are, you are not)
    To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.  
    The procedure:
    * Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
    * Zip up the copy (compress them)
    *Please upload them to a file sharing service like Skydrive or"Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.
    Link for how to  upload below.
    To ensure minidumps are enabled:
    * Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
    * Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
    * Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
    * Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
    * Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
    * OK your way out.
    * Reboot if changes have been made.
    Please also run MSinfo32 and upload the output as well.
    To run MSinfo32 please go to start>run>MSinfo32
    Go to "file" "save" and upload the saved file with the DMPS
    System specs are extremely useful so please include whatever you know.

Blue Screen View & Who Crashed are often wrong and should only be used in an emergency...

Basic troubleshooting Windows/hardware here
    You can read more about BSODS here
    You can learn how to test your memory here
    Asking an effective question gets help faster read how here
    Driver verifier-Tracking down a mis behaving driver  here

Monday, October 7, 2013 5:57 PM