Also need XP. What are my options? RRS feed

• Question

• I have purchased a new eMachines ET1831-05 desktop machine. It comes with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I may also need to run a copy of Windows XP 32-bit on the same machine. What are my options? Here's the info I've been able to gather so far.

1. Virtual Windows XP
    ... Not possible in Home Premium, nor does my processor support hardware virtualization.

2. Dual-boot using Windows XP
    ... As far as I can tell eMachines has not released any Windows XP drivers for this PC.

3. Virtual PC 2007 + Windows XP
    ... Yes?

Any thoughts?

What level of performance can I expect under my PC's specs when using virtualization? If I buy a new PC in 3-4 years, will the virtual machine work on it as well?

Specs for my PC:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eMachines+-+Desktop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Celeron%26%23174%3B+Processor/9703462.p;jsessionid=BEB8ACD23B9F51184B5E6C53C85068FE.bbolsp-app04-05?id=1218164424661&skuId=9703462
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 5:40 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I recommend you install windows XP in a Virtual Machine. According to your PC's specs, it's no problem to run a Virtual Machine with XP. You can do anything expect running 3D games. As to Virtual Machine software, I recommend you use VirtualBox. It's free and its performance is better than Virtual PC.

Configure a dual boot with windows 7 and windows XP is also feasible. You can find the compatible driver for most devices. After installing windows XP on windows 7 based computer, you need to manually edit the boot information to configure a dual boot.

Thomas77
    • Marked as answer by posfan12 Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:56 PM
    Monday, March 8, 2010 7:14 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I recommend you install windows XP in a Virtual Machine. According to your PC's specs, it's no problem to run a Virtual Machine with XP. You can do anything expect running 3D games. As to Virtual Machine software, I recommend you use VirtualBox. It's free and its performance is better than Virtual PC.

Configure a dual boot with windows 7 and windows XP is also feasible. You can find the compatible driver for most devices. After installing windows XP on windows 7 based computer, you need to manually edit the boot information to configure a dual boot.

Thomas77
    • Marked as answer by posfan12 Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:56 PM
    Monday, March 8, 2010 7:14 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

So you're saying I might be able to find XP drivers from the device manufacturers themselves? The PC is brand new (though maybe the technology is old since it's a budget PC), and there are no XP drivers available from the eMachines website. Here's an image of what the eMachines website says is available for my PC (I am unable to link to the "dynamic" page directly):

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/SharkD2161/Support/emachines_drivers_screenshot.png

Which devices in particular need to be updated if I install XP?

Mike
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:05 AM
  • That is a OLD chipset in those PC's you should be looking at the vendor (nvida) for the drivers.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:30 PM