none
Will DPM 2012 support protecting reparse points? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm interested if soemone could already give me a hint if SCDPM 2012 will protect reparse points?

This would be a major benefit for many companies using archiving technologies.

Thanks

Rolf

RR
    Monday, July 25, 2011 6:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Reparse points have varying applications.  Three that I can think of are SIS, Remote storage, volume Mount points.  DPM will protect volumes that have SIS enabled.  I believe we also support remote storage. DPM does support backing up data under reparse points (Volume mounted volumes) however, DPM will not "traverse" mount points located on a volume by itself, you need to explicitly select the mountpoint at the time of protection.

Given the following, if you protect just D: volume - DPM will not protect any data under the mountpointdir directory. However, you can navigate to the mountpointdir and protect it then DPM will recognize it as a separate volume and protect the data under the mountpoint.

D:\dir1\dir2\mountpointdir
                                  \\.\{volume}

As far as 3rd party use of reparse points, I'm not certain how DPM wil handle them, and testing should be done to see if we can protect / restore them correctly.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 5:52 PM