App-V 5 The application failed to launch 0x0FD01B25 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have App-V 5 deployed on a RDS Host Server (Windows Server 2008 R2). I have streamed one app to test (Google Chrome). The app loads and runs perfectly with the Administrator account, however when any user tried to load it, they receive:

The application failed to launch. This may be due to a network failure. Error code 0x0FD01B25-00000005.

In the event log this error is logged:

Process 15780 failed to start due to Virtual Filesystem subsystem failure. Package ID {fda69bb7-10bb-4cef-9ba3-480ca2260d0c}. Version ID {3b8dff55-f8fb-41dc-825c-60a419507543}. Error: 0xFD01B25-0x5

The user has read access to the network share containing the appv file (not sure if that is actually required). Ive tried making them a local admin on the RDS box without success.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

Ben

Friday, November 9, 2012 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hello,

See this topic for me advanced debuggig,
    http://www.tmurgent.com/TmBlog/?p=1247

Also, apply hotfix1 to see if there is a difference

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:20 AM
  • Absolutely Brilliant!  MUCH appreciated on the information!

The last post by Nicke Kallen was spot on!  In all of the articles I`ve read, videos I`ve seen on the subject...  NOTHING had ever mentioned the additional logs/debugs that were required to diagnose this issue.

FOLLOWING THE LINK PROVIDED BY NICKE KALLEN WAS WHAT ULTIMATELY RESOLVED MY ISSUES.

In my case, the accounts that attempted to launch the virtual app were attempting to access the %appdata%\Roaming folder which I had been moving via Folder-Redirection in Group Policy.  In my particular case, the permissions were wrong on that particular share, which was causing the problems I was experiencing.

I repaired permissions, and everything is now working great!  - I would imagine that stopping the AppData redirection would have worked as well.

In any case, THANK YOU very much for your post.  It`s users like you that make Technet a great place to go to find information on issues such as these.

• Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by David WoltersModerator Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:23 PM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 1:29 PM
  • Hello,

Folder redirection is not supported;

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sgern/archive/2013/03/21/10404124.aspx

And in English;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj713463.aspx

and copy and pasted;

The following directories must be available on a local volume for each user that logs into the computer running the App-V 5.0 client:

• %APPDATA% \ Microsoft \ AppV \ Client \ VFS            
    • %LOCALAPPDATA% \ Microsoft \ AppV \ Client \ VFS            

Monday, April 1, 2013 12:02 PM

All replies

• Does the application launch correctly after you pre-cache? Also is this the only application you are seeing this behavior with?

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Friday, November 9, 2012 9:54 PM
  • This is the only application exhbiting this behaviour. Although Im not having much luck with other apps im testing, but those are different issues - but it shows that other app-v apps will at least load, and not show this error. It dosent make any difference if its pre-cached. Ive tried restreaming and I get the same error.

Saturday, November 10, 2012 11:48 AM
  • Hello,

Are they published globally or per-user?

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:51 PM
  • Hi,

have you already found a solution for this problem?

I have the same problem with one App-V package (Office 2003).
    I have precached the application globally.

Thanks!

Regards
    Tobias

Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:44 PM
  • Hi,

The apps are published per user based on AD groups.

And no, unfortunately I haven't found a solution. Ive parked App-V 5 for the moment, hopefully until an answer appears.

Thanks, Ben.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:59 PM
  • Hello,

I would reivisit how your permissions are setup for your share that contains the packages. Seems that something that requires permissions, doesn't have them.

Since I have no idea how you have setup your environment, the above error could of course mean something entirely different.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 5:14 PM
  • Hi,

in my case it helped to manually restart the "AppvPublishing" Application Pool in IIS on the App-V management server (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2780177).

I also had this problem with an second App-V application, even though the 10 minutes refresh interval was a long time ago.

Regards
    Tobias
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 6:07 PM
  • I don`t want to be one of those guys that say `me too` on this forum, but I was hoping that somebody may had stumbled on the resolution.

In my SCCM / App-V 5.0 build, I have these exact same symptoms.  The administrator that uploaded the .appv package has no problems starting the application.  ALL other users (Even other WSAdmins) are given this same error.

It`s obviously a permissions problem, but am lost at where to check.  -In a previous lab, I didn`t experience this at all.  Tobias, in looking at your last post from Jan 9, you mention to reset the AppvPublishing App Pool, but I`m not seeing this as an available app pool to begin with (I`m guessing that it`s on the App-V server portion, instead of SCCM).

BN8959, you haven`t had any luck in this issue since Nov have you?  It`s definately driving me insane.  All google searches for the error message lead to this forum thread, and nothing else.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 9:59 AM
  • Hello,

See this topic for me advanced debuggig,
    http://www.tmurgent.com/TmBlog/?p=1247

Also, apply hotfix1 to see if there is a difference

Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:20 AM
  • Absolutely Brilliant!  MUCH appreciated on the information!

The last post by Nicke Kallen was spot on!  In all of the articles I`ve read, videos I`ve seen on the subject...  NOTHING had ever mentioned the additional logs/debugs that were required to diagnose this issue.

FOLLOWING THE LINK PROVIDED BY NICKE KALLEN WAS WHAT ULTIMATELY RESOLVED MY ISSUES.

In my case, the accounts that attempted to launch the virtual app were attempting to access the %appdata%\Roaming folder which I had been moving via Folder-Redirection in Group Policy.  In my particular case, the permissions were wrong on that particular share, which was causing the problems I was experiencing.

I repaired permissions, and everything is now working great!  - I would imagine that stopping the AppData redirection would have worked as well.

In any case, THANK YOU very much for your post.  It`s users like you that make Technet a great place to go to find information on issues such as these.

• Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by David WoltersModerator Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:23 PM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 1:29 PM
  • I shouldn't have gotten credit for the answer on this.

If possible, please allow the post by user Znack to receive credit.  It was the link in that post that led to resolution in my own question.

--  Also, the original poster may still have the issues described.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:03 AM
  • I have also marked the reply by Znack as an answer. The reason I had marked only your post was that you detailed the exact problem/resolution for your issue. I agree that Znack certainly deserves credit so I have given him credit also. I apologize for the oversight the first time around.

David

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:07 PM
  • Thanks.  :)

Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:51 AM
  • Unfortunately I am still having issues. Sorry ive left it ages to get back on this.

In my App-V Subsystems-VFS logs I am receiving the following error

Failed to get long path from '\\?\UNC\Hosted\Storage\Personal\user\AppData\Roaming'.  Error code: 0xFD01B25-0x5

AppData is redirected to a DFS path.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

I have install hotfix 1 as well.

Monday, April 1, 2013 11:09 AM
  • If I disable folder redirection of the AppData folder the error goes away.
    Monday, April 1, 2013 11:38 AM
  • Hello,

Folder redirection is not supported;

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sgern/archive/2013/03/21/10404124.aspx

And in English;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj713463.aspx

and copy and pasted;

The following directories must be available on a local volume for each user that logs into the computer running the App-V 5.0 client:

• %APPDATA% \ Microsoft \ AppV \ Client \ VFS            
    • %LOCALAPPDATA% \ Microsoft \ AppV \ Client \ VFS            

Monday, April 1, 2013 12:02 PM
  • Hi Dimanche,

When you say you fixed permissions on the share, what do you mean?  Our share is everyone Full Control, but is secured via NTFS permissions (Admins and System full control).  The OS makes the profile folder and assigns the appropriate permissions.

I have the same App-V issue.  If I disable folder redirection, it works fine.  With Folder redirection enabled to a network path it fails with the same error code mentioned above. Users can create folders within the redirected Appdata, and all other apps are working fine with roaming profiles...

This Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS folders etc. etc. are also created successfully under Roaming Appdata fine...

My only thought is adding Creator Owner = Full, Everyone = List folder contents (this folder only) etc as per https://support.microsoft.com/kb/274443?wa=wsignin1.0

In a previous environment I had another similar issue with MS Office accessing NTFS permissions - although the User had sufficient permisssions, the root folder permissions were too restrictive - when the Office app accessed the root folder (before the user path), it failed.

Monday, February 9, 2015 12:24 AM