locked
Problem upgrding from SP1 to R2 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi

    I am trying to upgrade a ConfigMgr standalone primary site running SP1 CU5 to R2. I have done numerours upgrades in the past but have never seen the errors I am getting before.

    The environment is a bit special because it consist of four sperate domains in four seperate forests. No trusts exists between the domains.

    The ConfigMgr site server is installed in domain A/forest A and is a single server installation running al the roles MP, DP, SUP, SMP, AI and SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2.

    In each of the other domains (B, C and D) a Site Systems server is installed running a DP, MP and SMP. I know it doesn´t make sence to have a MP in each location but I didn´t do the installation of the site.

    Each of the site systems is configured with a Site System Installation account and the checkbox Require the site server to initiate connections to this site system is selected. The managment points is also configured with an account that has the correct permissions on the SQL server.

    When I run the Prerequisite checker I get the following errors:

    • Administrative share (site system)
    • Check Server service is running
    • unsupported management point operation system version
    • Domain membership
    • Microsoft XML Core Service 6.0 (MSXML60)
    • IIS service running
    • BITS installed
    • BITS enabled

    The above errors are repeated for all 3 remote site systems.

    I have created a small demo setup with four seperate domains/forests with no trusts and in this setup I have no problem running the R2 upgrade and the prerequisite checker doesn´t give me any errrors.

    I also persuaded the person responcible for the firewall to allow all traffic in/out between the 4 servers in question with the same result. The account I am using to run the upgrade in a local admin on the site server, SQL sysadmin and a Fúll ConfigMgr admin. This account obviously haven´t got any permissions on the site server systems.

    Has anyone seen this before or have an idea of what might becausing it?

    Kind regards

    Michael Buchardt

    Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:12 PM

All replies

  • See C:\ConfigMgrPrereq.log. It should tell you why those items are erroring out. 
    (I does make sense to place an MP in a remote forest/domain though)

    Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

    Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:30 PM
  • Hi Torsten

    Thanks for your reply. I indeed have cheched the ConfigMgrPrereq.log file and I get this:

    <03-17-2015 12:08:12> ERROR: Failed to get share information from share Admin$ on server server02
    <03-17-2015 12:08:12> Server02;    Administrative share (Site system);    Warning;    Configuration Manager Setup requires that the Admin$ administrative share is available on the site system. Setup either could not verify that Admin$ share is present on the computer specified for site system installation or Setup could not contact the server to determine administrative share information. No further prerequisite checking rules can be evaluated on the specified system and Setup cannot continue.
    <03-17-2015 12:08:12> INFO:CheckSiteSystemtoSQLConnectivity <Server02>
    <03-17-2015 12:08:12> GetMPSqlIsUserAccountAndInfo Site Machine:<Server02>, sitecode<PS1>
    <03-17-2015 12:08:12> INFO: MP not use machine account or not use site sql server, skipping SQL Server connectivity check.
    <03-17-2015 12:08:12> Server1;    Site System to SQL Server Communication;    Passed
    <03-17-2015 12:08:12> <<<RuleCategory: System Requirements>>>
    <03-17-2015 12:08:12> <<<CategoryDesc: Checking system requirements for ConfigMgr...>>>
    <03-17-2015 12:08:12> INFO: Check Lanman service: <Server02>.
    <03-17-2015 12:08:12> ERROR: Failed to connect to WMI namespace on Server02
    <03-17-2015 12:08:12> ERROR: Failed to call GetResultByRunningService

    I changed the FQDN of the server to Server02.

    It tries to connect to the site servers and cannot and hence all the errors. It is connecting using the account I am running the R2 upgrade under and that obviously haven´t got any permissions on the Site System.

    This setup should be supported and it works fine in my test setup where the account running the R2 setup doesn´t have any permissions on the site systems either.

    Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:43 PM
  • Did you get anywhere with this?

    I'm hitting a similar situation with an R2 to R2SP1 upgrade... Strangely the error says setup cannot continue, but I get the Begin Install button still...

    Tuesday, June 16, 2015 1:23 AM
  • Hello.
    I have the same problem.
    I try update SCCM 2012 R2 CU5 to 2012 R2 SP1
    When I run installation on my admin rights I have those warning:

    • Administrative share (site system)
    • Check Server service is running
    • unsupported management point operation system version
    • Domain membership
    • Microsoft XML Core Service 6.0 (MSXML60)
    • IIS service running
    • BITS installed
    • BITS enabled

    When my AD admin start the same installation everything goes ok without any warning.
    It means that you don't have admin rights on remote DP or some other access.

    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:48 AM