none
Scheduling collections via scripts RRS feed

• Question

• In our environment we have several peak utilizations periods that run over the week; for instance, Mondays and Tuesdays our reporting servers get hit very hard, Fridays we have a lot of data input.  At night, our systems are only doing back ups.  We would like to set off performance collections every business day for a couple of weeks to get data for our virtualization project.  Can the criteria be script fed into the MAP collector and run on a scheduled basis, i.e. every business day, or do I need to manually create a new job every business day?  I saw a similar question asked about version 4.0, we are using 5.5.  

Thank you 

Monday, March 21, 2011 5:12 PM

All replies

• As found in the FAQ:

Q: Does the MAP Toolkit have a scripting interface?

A: No, MAP does not currently have a scripting interface.

You could run the performance monitor non-stop all week, provided you stay within the database size limits.  The database grows at approximately 53KB per machine per hour during the performance gathering.  If you used SQL Server 2008 R2 Express that installs with MAP, then you have a 10GB database size limit.  If you did some calculations based on the current size of the database and the number of machines you plan to gather data on, you could potentially run it for multiple weeks.

Thanks,

Michael Switzer

Monday, March 21, 2011 10:31 PM