Session lock to immediately show user selection screen? RRS feed

• Question

• Win 7 64 bit Home premium

Pressing Win + L locks the session as in XP.
    However, the welcome screen displayed shows only the (just) locked account.
    One needs to press "Switch user" button to show all users (accounts) on the particular computer.

Is there a registry key that would make the account selection appear immediately without the intermediate "session locked" screen?
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:21 PM

Answers

One needs to press "Switch user" button to show all users (accounts) on the particular computer.

Is there a registry key that would make the account selection appear immediately without the intermediate "session locked" screen?

Hi

There is no way that I'm aware of to do this.

A workaround would be to create a shortcut to Switch User and then assign a hotkey to the shortcut.

Right click and select New/Shortcut.

Paste the following path in the Location box.

C:\Windows\System32\tsdiscon.exe

Click Next.
    Name the shortcut Switch User or Lock Computer.
    Click Finish.

Right click the new shortcut and select Properties.
    In the Shortcut key box, enter a keyboard shortcut such as CTRL+ALT+S or CTRL+ALT+L.
    Apply/OK.

You can double click this shortcut or use the keyboard shortcut to immediatley display the logon screen with all user accounts displayed. This will have the same effect as pressing WINKEY+L, but will show all users on the login screen.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

• Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Sunday, December 6, 2009 10:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, December 9, 2009 6:21 AM
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 10:42 PM

All replies

Hi

There is no way that I'm aware of to do this.

A workaround would be to create a shortcut to Switch User and then assign a hotkey to the shortcut.

Right click and select New/Shortcut.

Paste the following path in the Location box.

C:\Windows\System32\tsdiscon.exe

Click Next.
    Name the shortcut Switch User or Lock Computer.
    Click Finish.

Right click the new shortcut and select Properties.
    In the Shortcut key box, enter a keyboard shortcut such as CTRL+ALT+S or CTRL+ALT+L.
    Apply/OK.

You can double click this shortcut or use the keyboard shortcut to immediatley display the logon screen with all user accounts displayed. This will have the same effect as pressing WINKEY+L, but will show all users on the login screen.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

• Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Sunday, December 6, 2009 10:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, December 9, 2009 6:21 AM
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 10:42 PM
  • Sounds like what you want to do is log out, not lock your session.  You do understand that there's a difference, right?

It is your session that is logged-in and locked.  Why would you want it to show users other than yourself?  For the majority of users where they're the primary computer users, having to select from multiple users would make their lives more difficult.

And as you noted it does give you the "Switch User" capability for the exceptional case.

Have you somehow enabled the ability to have more than one user logged-in?  I don't believe that's supported on Windows 7.

-Noel
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 11:51 PM
  • ???
    It's a standard installation. Users are my entire family. When one of us locks their session, it's normal to expect someone else might want to log in as well. Previously installed XP Pro went immediately to welcome screen allowing that, Current Win7 doesn't. I was not aware that it was against EULA to login multiple users "simultaneously", even if the functionality is clearly provided. I understand this for terminal services (though I don't agree with it), but that (RDP) is not even available in Home Premium that I have.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 8:07 AM
  • Thanks for this tip Ronnie. Although not exactly what I wanted, it's probably close enough. Will try it ASAP.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 8:07 AM
  • Ronnie...the command "C:\Windows\System32\tsdiscon.exe" (without quotes) doesn'tn work on my W7 Home Premium (32bit). I get the error: "Windows cannot find 'C:\Windows\System32\tsdiscon.exe'....". I've even tried downloading and installing tsdiscon.exe into the C:\Windows\System32\ folder as suggested elsewhere, then I get the error message: "This version of file is not compatible with the version of windows you are running...."

Does V7 Home Premium support tsdiscon? If so, where can I find a compatible copy?

Thanks...
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:22 PM
  • I am on the same page as RobAgain, and many others that I have run across on the internet. I use an icon (shortcut) pointing to tsdicon.exe in both windows 7 enterprise and professional, but can't find tsdiscon.exe in windows 7 home premium... and peopel using home premium are the people that could most use this! In fact, I'm pretty surprised it's not an included feature. For families, it's nice to let everyone have their own system accounts, but the process to lock the session and get back to the users selection screen is hard to explain and teach to younger children and older adults... and this could all be simplified if tsdiscon.exe was just included (ideally the process I've mentioned should just be one of the home premium features instead of lock session (or else locking the session {win+L} or maybe a new {win+s (for switch users)} in home premium should just bring you to the user selection page) because in a home, confusion is created when it says the computer is locked... yes I know you can click the switch uers button to get to the user selection screen, but it is an unneeded extra step. If there's already a hidden menu item for switching users hidden away in the start menu of home premium, why can't we access the same program it does to create new shortcuts we can pin to the taskbar?
    Friday, December 25, 2009 6:54 PM
  • I am on the same page as RobAgain, and many others that I have run across on the internet. I use an icon (shortcut) pointing to tsdicon.exe in both windows 7 enterprise and professional, but can't find tsdiscon.exe in windows 7 home premium... and peopel using home premium are the people that could most use this! In fact, I'm pretty surprised it's not an included feature. For families, it's nice to let everyone have their own system accounts, but the process to lock the session and get back to the users selection screen is hard to explain and teach to younger children and older adults... and this could all be simplified if tsdiscon.exe was just included (ideally the process I've mentioned should just be one of the home premium features instead of lock session (or else locking the session {win+L} or maybe a new {win+s (for switch users)} in home premium should just bring you to the user selection page) because in a home, confusion is created when it says the computer is locked... yes I know you can click the switch uers button to get to the user selection screen, but it is an unneeded extra step. If there's already a hidden menu item for switching users hidden away in the start menu of home premium, why can't we access the same program it does to create new shortcuts we can pin to the taskbar?
    Hi

The tsdiscon.exe is the component that is used to disconnect a Remote Desktop Session and is only available for systems that can host a RDS. This feature is only available in Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise.

I'm not aware of any way to implement this capability in the Windows 7 Home editions.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Friday, December 25, 2009 8:39 PM
  • I found a workaround: rtsoftwares (http://www.rtsoftwares.com) has a program called "Turn Off Monitor" (free trial, $5 USD). In addition to several other functions, one of it's "add-ons" (SwitchUser.exe) enables quick user switching directly, even in W7 Home Premium. By writting a shortcut that points to the add-on, the swith user panel is accessed directly. The only down-side i've found so far is that the "Turn Off Monitor" software must be running for the SwitchUser function to work.
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 3:21 AM
  • Hi,

I had specified tsdiscon.exe in a link within an app launcher gadget I have developed (Launch Control) to do 'Switch User', but was notified that it doesn't work for Windows 7 Home Premium.  I haven't been able to find an existing Windows file alternative, but I did find the following:

http://blog.dotsmart.net/2008/01/17/shortcut-to-switch-user-in-windows-vista/

At the end of his article, he provides the source and compiled code for a small executable that initiates 'Switch User'.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 4:59 AM
  • Thanks for finding this kinesys...just what I was looking for. By the way, your Launch Control gadget is the best!
    Friday, January 8, 2010 4:37 PM