none
Problem Upgrading Deployments From MDT 2010 (v5.1.1642.01) to MDT 2012 (v6.1.2373.0) RRS feed

• Question

• As the subject states, I am unable to upgrade deployments to the new version of Microsoft Deployment Workbench. I have many deployments that were created using the 5.x version. I recently upgraded to MDT 2012, version 6.x, and none of the deployments will open without upgrading them first. But I get the following message when it fails do upgrade:

Access to the path 'E:\Deployments\<name_of_deployment>\Deploy\USMT\x64\DlManifests\bitsextensions-server' is denied.

If I pull up properties of that folder, the Read Only check box is shaded. I can clear the check box and apply it to all sub-folders, but it just reapplies. When I pull properties back up the box is shaded again.

Does anyone know what causes this, and how I can resolve it?

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:02 PM

Answers

• It must have been a permissions issue, although I don't know why. I copied the deployment folder into the My Documents folder of my admin account and opened it in MDT from there and it upgraded without issue.
    • Marked as answer by greg.roberts Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:19 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:19 PM

All replies

• Have you checked NTFS permissions on the path?
    • Check with ProcMon to see whether there's another process with a lock on that path

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:43 PM
    • Have you checked NTFS permissions on the path?
    • Check with ProcMon to see whether there's another process with a lock on that path

I downloaded and ran ProcMon, but I'm not sure how to read what it is displaying. As for the folder in question, the Read Only attribute is shaded (but not checked). Clearing the check box accomplishes nothing. Also I am logged in as an admin. I have full permissions to the drive.
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:48 PM
  • It must have been a permissions issue, although I don't know why. I copied the deployment folder into the My Documents folder of my admin account and opened it in MDT from there and it upgraded without issue.
    • Marked as answer by greg.roberts Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:19 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:19 PM