Upgrade Process RRS feed

• Question

• I am building a new computer and have a legitimate copy of Windows 2000 I bought years ago.

I see I can upgrade but it must be a clean install.  Do I have to install 2000 on the new hard drive before I can use the Vista upgrade disk, or does Vista ask for the 2000 disk during installation to verify it is a Microsoft disk and not a copy?

Is there a Microsoft page that describes the process, I could not find one?

I will be building this computer this week so any quick help is appreciated.

cliberman5634@yahoo.com

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:54 PM

Answers

•  

Hi ChuckLib,

Thank you for the post.

Please understand that we cannot upgrade from Windows 2000 to Windows Vista.

From the following site, we can see only Windows XP can upgrade to Windows Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradepaths.mspx

If you have a Windows Vista full version disk, you can perform a Clean Install of Windows Vista. During the installation, please input the product key.

However, if you only have a Windows Vista Upgrade disk, you need to install Windows XP first and then upgrade install Windows Vista. If you do not have a Windows XP disk, you can contact our Customer Service to purchase one. Alternatively, you can purchase a Windows Vista full version disk.

For your reference, I've included the contact information of our Customer Service:

Microsoft Customer Service: (800) 426-9400, available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Note: Microsoft Customer Service mainly handles issues regarding replacement manuals, disks, drivers and service packs, product IDs, lost CD keys, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:18 AM