none
Removing Printer from Deployed with Group Policy in Print Management Error

Question

• Server is Windows 2008 R2

I am the domain administrator

In my Printer Manager (deployed printers), I have three printers I'm trying to remove (retired printers now).

When I highlight one and choose Deploy with Group Policy (and the box opens up), I see the printer listed and have the option to remove it.  However, when I try to remove it, I get an error:

"Removing Printer connection "\\applied\Back Copier on Applied 2" from per machine GPO "Default Domain Policy" failed.  The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

Applied is the name of my server.  My domain does exist and it's the only domain I have.

See here:

How do you think I can fix this so I can remove those three printers?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Thursday, November 03, 2016 7:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

>>Removing Printer connection "\\applied\Back Copier on Applied 2" from per machine GPO "Default Domain Policy" failed.  The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

Please run: gpresult /r  to check which GPOs you have applied on these 3 printers, then you'd better remove these GPOs for these printers.

Tip: Please do not apply or change the default domain policies or default domain controller policies on your domain, leave it alone. If you wanted to deploy some GPO settings for these printers, we could create a new OU for them then apply gpos on it.

Second, I have built a new environment to test this issue, found no problems, see figure below:

Please help me to check your current machine's related ip settings, ensure that it's dns servers has point to the DC.

Really sorry for no server 2008r2 to test currently!

Please check if the above info is helpful and let me know if you need more assistances.

Best regards,

Andy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 04, 2016 3:16 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Please run: gpresult /r  to check which GPOs you have applied on these 3 printers, then you'd better remove these GPOs for these printers.

Well, if you're asking me to run the <g class="gr_ gr_42 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="42" id="42">gpresult</g> /r on the printer, that can't be done.  If I run that on the server I only have one group policy on my server - the default domain controller policy.  My "default domain" policy is what runs on all the workstations.  And that is where the printers are - inside the default domain policy.  however, they can't be removed from the domain policy because the printers were deployed via the printer manager and attached to the domain policy.  I didn't add the printers to the domain policy along with other policies.
    Monday, November 07, 2016 5:59 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Did you get this figured out? 

I'd try switching up the tool used for this.  Use GPMC after installing the print server tools onto a machine.  This combination will allow editing printer connections using the Group Policy Management Console.

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Sunday, January 01, 2017 9:30 PM
    Answerer