none
HyperV Server 2012 R2 - Remotely Managing Windows Firewall

Question

• I'm hoping someone can help, because this is driving me crazy :S

I've got an installation of Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 installed, setup and domain joined. I have it added to Server administration console on a full fat 2016 server, works perfectly. I've teamed NICs, used Computer Management to manage shares, disk partitions etc etc.

The one thing I CANT figure out is why when I use MMC to run 'Windows Firewall with Advanced Management' it connects, but doesn't show any inbound rules!

Initially it wouldn't actually connect at all, so I used 'netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="Windows Firewall Remote Management" new enable=yes'. After which it will successfully launch, but has an empty pane when I click on Inbound Rules. Also, if I add a rule manually it goes through the whole process normally, but no rule appears after finishing the config, also no error!

I can successfully mmc to the firewall manangement for other servers in the domain.

Please help :(

Adam

Friday, March 17, 2017 5:33 PM

All replies

• I'd double check that the inbound firewall rules;

Remote Services Management

Windows Firewall Remote Management

are enabled in your remote server.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, March 18, 2017 1:19 PM
  • Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. below is an image showing the firewall rules being applied, though the 'Remote Services Management' you listed above seems to be 'Service' rather than 'Services'.

Still the same though, when I connect from another server by running MMC then adding Windows Firewall Advanced Management and pointing to the HyperV server, the console opens without error, but does not list any inbound rules. See below for screenshot;

Any other thoughts or ideas would be gladly welcomed!

Regards

Adam

Saturday, March 18, 2017 1:57 PM
  • Could also be a winrm issue. If a non domain environment its possible but a few hoops to jump through.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh921475(v=ws.11).aspx

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, March 18, 2017 4:58 PM
  • Hi Dave,

It is a domain environment, however I've had a look and all seems to be ok.

Another thing I've noticed, which is strange is that if I run a VM on the Hyper-V Server and then use mmc to open the firewall manangement back to the Hyper V server it works perfectly and displays all inbound rules!

Can't wrap my head round this one at all!

Adam

Monday, March 20, 2017 2:14 PM
  • I just created an MMC to a 2016 guest and confirmed I could not connect, I then enabled the two inbound groups on target

Remote Service Management

Windows Firewall Remote Management

and it works but only after recreating the MMC

Monday, March 20, 2017 2:57 PM
  • Dave,

Really appreciate you taking the time to read, consider and respond. I am 100% confident those rules are in place, as if they weren't the remote connection to Firewall Management wouldn't succeed. Not sure what was going on, even rebuild the 2012 host with the same outcome.

I then replaced it with Hyper-V Server 2016 and it works perfectly.

Very odd indeed. I hate not finding out what was causing the problem though :(

Adam

Monday, March 20, 2017 8:55 PM
  • Yea, my hosts are both 2016 now as well.

Monday, March 20, 2017 8:58 PM