none
unwanted view and track downloads in internet explorer RRS feed

• Question

• The problem is simple yet extremely annoying.

Each time try to open internet explorer the view and track download box appears.

Then it asks if i want to save a tiny file that i know nothing about.

It wont let me save it or open the drop down box

When I close it internet explorer is no longer there.

Any assistance would be much appreciated 

Thursday, May 4, 2017 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry to hear about the inconvenience caused.

Unfortunately you cannot disable this feature because it is a inbuilt feature of Internet Explorer.

The Download Manager will manage all your downloads. Please check your download history files by Ctrl+J shortcut key.

You can manually pause or cancel this file which you don’t want to download.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 5, 2017 5:00 AM
  • Hi,

Close any open IE windows.... then

Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab, change your homepage setting to about:blank. Save changes. Start and open IE... does the downloads manager appear when your homepage setting is set to about:blank? What was the address of your previous homepage setting. Please post back with its full address. (from your question, it sounds like it may be a web address like https://tinyurl.com/xdmdskd .... )

or open the Downloads manager in IE, and right click on the item in the list that IE is trying to download when IE starts and select the Copy download URL option.... paste that address with your reply.

If you have chrome or firefox installed from IE go Tools>Internet Options>Programs tab, and click the option to make IE your default program (chrome and firefox hijack the file associations for web documents, setting IE as your default browser changes those settings back to the windows default settings for IE)...

If you are using a company computer (domain network) you should take the issue up with your company's IT support as they are responsible for the configuration of machines on their networks.

If you are using a personal computer scan your computer with your AV product or Windows Defender to remove unwanted known malware. If any malware is found and removed, go back to Internet Options and check that your homepage setting has been changed back from the tinyurl address.... the default reset IE homepage address is a MS link, like https://microsoft.com/?linkid=1234..... you may want to change it to something else, of your own pleasure.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Friday, May 5, 2017 6:21 AM