a minor user interface thing that says a lot RRS feed

• Question

• Right click on an empty area in a windows explorer windows and look at the menu.
    Now right click on a file and look at the menu.
    It doesn't even look like the same operating system.
    Different spacing, different separation lines, different vertical bar....
    I think it says a lot on how the new windows explorer has been developed.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 10:53 PM

All replies

• Windows Explorer is a great disappointment in an otherwise OK product.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 11:51 PM
  • Hi Utenteanonimo,

Could you please offer detail descrtiption on it? A screenshot is highly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 2:18 AM

We are collecting comments on Windows Explorer to improve our customer UI experience.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 2:19 AM
  • Hi Utenteanonimo,

Could you please offer detail descrtiption on it? A screenshot is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

This whole Windows7 experience is turning nasty for me and to be honest the way this forum is run adds to the picture.

What is missing from my description in the first message? Why do you need a screenshot? Try it yourself! You need TWO RIGHT CLICKS to reproduce. Not a big deal and it seems other people in this thread understand what I mean.

Compare with Vista: in Vista the context menu for Windows Explorer empty area and the context menu for files have the same look (I guess the same GUI library is used for both menus).
    Now look at the two context menus in Windows7. One of two menus has the same look as in Vista, the other is different.
    To me this is a sign of messy spaghetti code under the hood.

Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:25 PM

We are collecting comments on Windows Explorer to improve our customer UI experience.

Thank you for your understanding.

The hundreds of complains that we saw since beta, or better, since Windows VISTA beta, is it not enough yet?

Windows explorer was ok in Windows XP. There was room for improvement, of course, but it did the job. Starting with Vista and now Windows 7, Windows Explorer have turned in a full useless mess.
    So sad it happened to the part I use the most in the operational system.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Here is a picture with four menus: the two on top are Vista menus; the two on the bottom are Windows 7 menus. Obviously the two Windows 7 menus are not consistent.
    As I said this is really just an aesthetic issue, but from a company that has been writing graphical user interfaces for 20 years I think it really says something.

http://cid-782dc040b3e04c5c.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/VistaVsWin7.jpg

Friday, November 6, 2009 12:50 AM
  • Are you running the final version of Windows 7? I am and I do not have the issue with the menus like you describe. All of my menus look the same. Are you running any software that adds items to explorer menus (like MacDrive, Winrar, winzip etc.) that is not fully comaptible with Windows 7? That could cause the problem.

Friday, November 6, 2009 4:34 AM
  • Hi Utenteanonimo,

Thanks.

This whole Windows7 experience is turning nasty for me and to be honest the way this forum is run adds to the picture.

What is missing from my description in the first message? Why do you need a screenshot? Try it yourself! You need TWO RIGHT CLICKS to reproduce. Not a big deal and it seems other people in this thread understand what I mean.

Compare with Vista: in Vista the context menu for Windows Explorer empty area and the context menu for files have the same look (I guess the same GUI library is used for both menus).
    Now look at the two context menus in Windows7. One of two menus has the same look as in Vista, the other is different.
    To me this is a sign of messy spaghetti code under the hood.

Hi Utenteanonimo,

Please understand the reason that I asked for screenshots is I cannot repro the issue on my computer. I do not want to mistake your description, we need a screenshot for confirm it.

Thanks.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 7:54 AM
  • Here is a picture with four menus: the two on top are Vista menus; the two on the bottom are Windows 7 menus. Obviously the two Windows 7 menus are not consistent.
    As I said this is really just an aesthetic issue, but from a company that has been writing graphical user interfaces for 20 years I think it really says something.

Thank you for screenshots.

After checking the screenshots, I want to let you know this is a problem on the computer. On my computers&test environments I have following menu:

The problem on your computer should be caused by an incompatible software modified Windows Explorer menus. You can try to run SFC /scannow to fix Window System Files to troubleshoot this problem.

Hope it helps.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 8:00 AM
  • Good to know I can cure this problem and it's not something native in the system!

I have two programs installed that add context menu items:

- 7zip --- I have uninstalled it and the different menu is still different
    - AVG Free antivirus --- I suppose this is the culprit as I have now seen the same problem on a Vista computer running AVG

Unfortunately AVG has no options to remove the shell extension so the only option would be to remove it completely;

Is there any guidance on registry editing to remove a shell extension? Alternately I might live with this snag or find another free antivirus....

Thanks.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 9:28 AM

Hi UtenteAnonimo

I don't see anyting wrong with your screenshot of the Windows 7 right click context menus?

The Folder context menu shows all of the options that are normally used for working with folders.

The File context menu shows the options that are normally used for working with files. Your menu also contains some items added by third party software (7-Zip and AVG antivirus). Also, on this menu you see Open With as the bolded, default option, because the .dll file that is clicked on is a System File and does not have a user associated program to open that type of file.

What you see on the menus will be different depending on where the folder/file is located, what type of folder/file it is, what permissions are applied to the folder/file, what third party software is installed, etc.

Windows 7 has the extensibility to create a folder for just about any purpose or design a developer wishes to use. 

To get the all of context menus to be exactly the same would assume that every folder/file is exactly the same, and of course this would be impossible.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, November 6, 2009 10:10 AM
  • Good to know I can cure this problem and it's not something native in the system!

I have two programs installed that add context menu items:

- 7zip --- I have uninstalled it and the different menu is still different
    - AVG Free antivirus --- I suppose this is the culprit as I have now seen the same problem on a Vista computer running AVG

Unfortunately AVG has no options to remove the shell extension so the only option would be to remove it completely;

Is there any guidance on registry editing to remove a shell extension? Alternately I might live with this snag or find another free antivirus....

Thanks.
    Hi Again

There is a good, free utility available that makes removing unwanted third party, Context Menu items as easy as removing the check mark for that item. Here is the link.

ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows

EDIT: Also, some third party programs will give you the option of either adding them to the right click context menu or not when you first install the program. I believe that both 7-Zip and Avg Antivirus, have this option.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, November 6, 2009 10:18 AM
  • Ronnie,
    Thanks for the tip regarding the ShellExtension manager. I will give it a try. WRT the difference in the menus, as someone has already pointed out, I wasn't referring to the actual list of items in the menus (obviously they must have different entries depending on the file type) but to the graphical style of the menu.

I see that other people have this problem but they don't use AVG so it must be a more general issue. Maybe there are different GUI library versions in Microsoft's development kits and developers are using different versions? I don't see why adding an item to the menu should change its graphical appearance.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 11:31 AM

• After checking the screenshots, I want to let you know this is a problem on the computer. On my computers&test environments I have following menu:

The problem on your computer should be caused by an incompatible software modified Windows Explorer menus. You can try to run SFC /scannow to fix Window System Files to troubleshoot this problem.

Hope it helps.

Uhmmm after further investigation I begin to think that third party software is not the cause for inconsistent menus.

Look at the following screenshot. It's from a Vista computer that doesn't have the problem with the Windows Explorer menus. However look at the menu in Internet Explorer 7 running on that computer.

http://cid-782dc040b3e04c5c.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/IE7onVista.jpg

Friday, November 6, 2009 2:39 PM

• Uhmmm after further investigation I begin to think that third party software is not the cause for inconsistent menus.

Look at the following screenshot. It's from a Vista computer that doesn't have the problem with the Windows Explorer menus. However look at the menu in Internet Explorer 7 running on that computer.

http://cid-782dc040b3e04c5c.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/IE7onVista.jpg

Hi,

I checked it on my test environments. Yes, it seems a UI bug on Windows Vista. Not only IE8, also IE7.

However, IE UI bug is another story. Could you please focus on the Windows 7 issue?

Given the current situation, could you please let me kow if it the issue occurs since installing Windows 7?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:10 AM