How to upgrade to Win 10 Pro from Win 7 Enterprise. RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a used laptop and want to upgrade to Win 10. When I tried it failed because Win 7 Enterprise was installed on the laptop. I purchased a new Win 10 Pro license and when trying to do the upgrade, I found this on the upgrade page "If you’re on an Enterprise edition, the media creation tool won’t work for an upgrade. Please see the Volume Licensing Service Center for more information". Is there anyway around this other than formatting my hard drive and starting from square 1. Would like to avoid having to reinstall all of my applications again.
    Monday, August 10, 2015 9:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For your current situation, since you already purchased Windows 10 Pro license, you can use Windows Media Creation tool to download can make Windows installation image, then backup personal data and make clean install Windows 10.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, September 9, 2015 8:16 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 7:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For your current situation, since you already purchased Windows 10 Pro license, you can use Windows Media Creation tool to download can make Windows installation image, then backup personal data and make clean install Windows 10.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, September 9, 2015 8:16 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 7:25 AM
  • Since you have Win 10 license, download the ISO using the media creation tool and then do a fresh installation with the key that you have.

Kunal Chowdhury [Microsoft MVP - Windows Development]
    Windows 10 Champion, Active Blogger @ http://www.kunal-chowdhury.com
    Git Tutorial - http://git.kunal-chowdhury.com

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 11:15 AM