none
How to delete restore points which are still in range of retention policy but for shrere which is no longer protected and removed from the Protection Group? DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a file server which due to it's size had to be split into two VMs. Once new server was created (file server 2) 1.6 tb share has been moved from files server 1 to new file server 2.

Once done, protection group in DPM2010 has been modified by removing 1.6tb share from list of protected shares for File Server 1.

I now have not enough space left in DPM 2010 pool to add same share but on File Server 2 to protection group.

How can I manually remove the restore points which are still in the retention range for the protection group for 1.6tb share in question and are still listed as available to be restored from for File Server 1 which no longer holds this share.

I assume once I am able to delete those restore points I will be able to shrink the Protection Group and then add new member to it (File Server 2) and a same 1.6tb share which is not hosted on it?

I did some reading but it seems that everybody is trying to remove old restore points which are beyond retention policy but were not removed by DPM pruning script due to various reasons.

Thank you

Monday, February 12, 2018 2:36 PM

All replies

• You can't.
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 10:17 AM
  • You can't.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

And If I would remove whole protection group which contains both File Server 1 and File Server 2 plus one more server and then recreate it for the scratch would that free up all the allocated space and remove all restore points (even tough those would be well within the retention plan range?).

Of course that would mean I am loosing my backups until recreated but that was taken into consideration.I

I would prefer not to remove whole protection group only to learn that I am in same situation of space being still taken but with no backup running as there is no longer a protection group and I cannot recreate it due to space being reserved and occupied by restore points?

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 12:16 PM