none
How to disable a IE 11 GPP that is enabled in a parent OU.

Question

• With Group Policies we were able to set a default workstation policy that enabled a lot of settings to lock down all workstations in a top level OU and then use loopback override policy in a sub-OU to disable these settings again for selected admin users to enable trouble shooting.

Now we are trying to do something similar using Group Policy Preferences. We have an default policy that sets Group Policy Preferences for IE10/IE11 for things like Proxy and it is set to always reapply. In a sub-OU I would like to disable the proxy settings and return them to user control for selected users.

If I set the relevant Preferences to enabled(green) then I can wipe the proxy settings but since it is set to always reapply anything the users sets will get overwritten every couple of hours.

If I set the Preferences to disabled(red) then they have no effect.

What is the best way to return this setting completely to user control for selected users.           

Monday, October 19, 2015 3:12 AM

All replies

• If I set the relevant Preferences to enabled(green) then I can wipe the proxy settings but since it is set to always reapply anything the users sets will get overwritten every couple of hours.

Do not use "always reapply" ?

Or, instead of overriding via precedence, consider Block Inheritance at the sub-OU and then link just what you need ?

Or, move these computers into a non-sub-OU, and link just the policies you need?

Don

Monday, October 19, 2015 8:20 AM
  • > Or, move these computers into a non-sub-OU, and link just the policies
    > you need?

Agree with that suggestion - rework your OU design, seems it doesn't fit
    your requirements.

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Monday, October 19, 2015 8:44 AM
  • Hi,

There are some suggestions to handle group policy conflict between parents OU and child OU, such as enforced, block policy inheritance, security filtering and VMI filtering. This article below may be helpful to you.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn581922.aspx

Best Regards,
    Jay

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 3:23 AM