BSOD 0x00000124 - Windows 7 RC1 Upgrade from Windows Vista Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• I just tried to Upgrade to Windows 7 RC1 from Windows Vista Ultimate

When rebooting, I get the windows 7 boot screen, and directy after that a BSOD displays with the STOP code:

STOP: 0x00000124 (0x00000004,0x84437024,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I have already tried to disabled the C1E option in my BIOS, and as far as I currently know, I dont have a onboard video card.

What really bugs me, is that I cant seem to find what the 2nd parameter is, since I have not found any post with the exact similar error code.

Some help would be appreciated.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:10 PM

Answers

• Heya, I managed to work-around it by using an PCI Graphics Adapter, and removing my PCI-E one.
    • Marked as answer by ZangaiNET Monday, May 11, 2009 6:35 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ZangaiNET Monday, May 11, 2009 7:39 AM
    • Edited by ZangaiNET Monday, May 11, 2009 8:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Friday, May 29, 2009 7:25 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Adam M MCP Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:27 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:35 AM

All replies

• Probably your graphics card, if it is PCI or PCI-E. Ensure your drivers are the most up-do-date. If you have an NVidia card, you can find Windows 7 drivers here and ATI here
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:12 PM
  • Thanx for the quick reply.

I also cant get into the safe mode, because the selection screen only shows for half a second, with going inmediatly to Windows 7.

I have tried to halt it with holding SHIFT or holding/continuesly pressing F8, but it still passed the advance boot screen.

Any Ideas?
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:16 PM
  • Most STOP 0x124 errors are hardware related.  They are errors that are reported to Windows by the processor (in most cases) and use the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA) reporting format.  As such, the information is a bit limited.

In this case the first parameter of the error message is a 4 - and this means "An uncorrectable PCI Express error occurred." (from the Windows Debugging Tools Help files).

I would suspect that either the motherboard is bad, or that Windows hasn't picked the proper drivers for the motherboard and it's confusing the processor (where the error message is generated).  It can also be other drivers causing this - but since it's a processor error, the likelyhood is less IMO

Here's the error message from the Windows Debugging Tools Help file:

Bug Check 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

[This is preliminary documentation and subject to change.]

The WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000124. This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

Parameters

Parameter 1Parameter 2Parameter 3Parameter 4Cause of error
    0x0 Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure. High 32 bits of MCi_STATUS MSR for the MCA bank that had the error. Low 32 bits of MCi_STATUS MSR for the MCA bank that had the error. A machine check exception occurred.

These parameter descriptions apply if the processor is based on the x64 architecture, or the x86 architecture that has the MCA feature available (for example, Intel Pentium Pro, Pentium IV, or Xeon).

0x1 Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure. Reserved. Reserved. A corrected machine check exception occurred.
    0x2 Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure. Reserved. Reserved. A corrected platform error occurred.
    0x3 Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure. Reserved. Reserved. A nonmaskable Interrupt (NMI) error occurred.
    0x4 Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure. Reserved Reserved. An uncorrectable PCI Express error occurred.
    0x5 Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure. Reserved. Reserved. A generic hardware error occurred.
    0x6 Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure Reserved. Reserved. An IA64 INIT error occurred.
    0x7 Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure. Reserved. Reserved. A BOOT error occurred.
    0x8 Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure Reserved. Reserved. A Scalable Coherent Interface (SCI) generic error occurred.
    0x9 Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure. Length, in bytes, of the SAL log. Address of the SAL log. An uncorrectable IA-64 machine check abort error occurred.
    0xA Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure Reserved. Reserved. A corrected IA-64 machine check error occurred.
    0xB Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure. Reserved. Reserved. A corrected IA-64 platform error occurred.

Comments

Parameter 1 identifies the type of error source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error condition.

For information about WHEA, see Windows Hardware Error Architecture Design Guide within the WDK documentation .

Note  This bug check is not supported in Windows versions prior to Windows Vista. Instead, machine check exceptions are reported through bug check 0x9C.

- John
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:16 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanx for the quick reply.

I also cant get into the safe mode, because the selection screen only shows for half a second, with going inmediatly to Windows 7.

I have tried to halt it with holding SHIFT or holding/continuesly pressing F8, but it still passed the advance boot screen.

Any Ideas?
    Is your keyboard active while your system is booting? My keyboard is USB and decided not to work before the system was fully booted for ages - so if I needed to use my keyboard while booting, I used a USB to PS/2 converter. However, I have since found a BIOS option to enable USB keyboard support - which I guess I should have looked for before.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:25 PM
  • Ok, I have installed the NVidia driver, but I still get the BSOD
    • Edited by ZangaiNET Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:30 AM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:34 PM
  • I dont have a onboard Video Adapter, so I cant just unplug my video card.

Could it work if I replace it with a PCI based video adapter?
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:35 AM
  • hey man, I have the same problem and it's very complicated to solve because the information about this bug is not too easy to find!

we'd better to wait microsoft repair all the bugs in windows 7 instalation!!!!

if you find any solution please tell me!

Friday, May 8, 2009 1:40 AM
  • Heya, I managed to work-around it by using an PCI Graphics Adapter, and removing my PCI-E one.
    • Marked as answer by ZangaiNET Monday, May 11, 2009 6:35 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ZangaiNET Monday, May 11, 2009 7:39 AM
    • Edited by ZangaiNET Monday, May 11, 2009 8:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Friday, May 29, 2009 7:25 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Adam M MCP Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:27 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:35 AM
  • That's not a solution - that's a work around that is not available to others. Please do not mark it as an answer to the BSOD issue as it doesn't solve the problem.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 7:15 AM
  • Because of the nature of the problem, it is not something we can solve, and should be done by Microsoft.

This is the solution for my problem, and as such, I will use it to close this thread. There is already a much bigger thread where this particular problem is being discussed.

(I will remove the mark so people wont be misleaded into thinking this is a solution, but this thread is now closed for as far as im concerned)
    • Edited by ZangaiNET Monday, May 11, 2009 7:40 AM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 7:37 AM
  • No offence but you are misleading people that you have solved the problem by providing this answer.

I looked here in the hope that you might have found the solution, but instead you are just using a workaround. Even I can use on-board video. But it is not an answer to the problem of using a PCI-E Nvidia video card with Windows 7.

As I say no offence
    Monday, May 11, 2009 7:41 AM
  • Hi, I have the same problem with the BSOD. Funnily enough that I have install the Windows 7 Beta 7000 and there it works great. But now as I want to install the RC version I become always the BSOD 0x00000124 (0x00000004, 0x84B4A024, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) booting up from disc or installing from Windows 7 Beta 7000. It's always the same dilemma!

I will send a Mail to Microsoft xD
    Friday, May 15, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Not sure my solution is compatible with your problem, but it did say "Vista" in the header, so..:

I have had problems with the BSOD 0x00000124 when playing certain 3D games and may just have found a fix for it.

1. fix:

It´s a PCI-bus hotfix:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/952681/en-us

Please note that this applies to the specific Win.Vista/Win.server 2008 error "STOP 0x00000124" BSOD, read the instructions carefully to see if you qualify for the fix. And note it´s a BETA. This one seems to have cured my rig.

2. fix:

Is another hotfix that applies to a wider range of BSOD error-codes, apparently:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950772

Hope this can help others.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Hi,

I exchanged the following file $windows.~bt\Windows\System32\drivers\pci.sys with the one from Windows 7 Beta.
    After Restart the BSOD was gone. I actually saw the Setup Screen.
    Unfortunately after a while there was a message "installation not successful". Then it rebooted.
    Maybe there is a check from Microsoft which detects that the version of pci.sys does not belong to the Windows version to be installed.

Anyone of you has a hint how to tell the Windows Installer to accept another version of pci.sys?

Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:24 PM
  • IT WORKS !!

The problem was not that the Windows Installer checks the version of pci.sys.
    The problem was that you may not boot from the original windows (the one you started the Windows 7 RC setup) until Setup is complete.

So here are the steps to successfully install Windows 7 RC if you encounter the BSOD 0x00000124 error:
    You need the file pci.sys from a Windows 7 beta which worked.
    - Start Windows 7 RC Setup from an already installed Windows XP SP2, Vista, or Windows 7 Beta.
      You cannot start from the DVD because there you will get the BSOD immediately
    - Before it wants to reboot, prevent this
    - Copy the file 'pci.sys' from Windows 7 Beta Build 7000 from \Windows\System32\drivers\pci.sys to the newly created Windows 7 RC setup directory.
      It is on the partition you have choosen Windows 7 RC to be installed in directory \$windows.~bt\Windows\System32\drivers\pci.sys
    - Restart your computer. Windows Setup now starts successfully! :)
    - Wait until it wants to restart the second time (after 'Installing Updates' is checked)
    - Now you have to prevent the Windows Setup to boot again.
      You also may not boot the previous windows (the one you started the setup from).
      If you do anyway a window will pop up and tells you that the installation failed. After that if you boot the Windows Setup again it would rolls back the installation.
      So you have to boot either from a DVD (e.g. Bart PE) or you remove your hard drive and plug it to another computer
    - From there you have to copy pci.sys from from Windows 7 Beta again.
      This time copy it to the newly installed \Windows\System32\drivers\pci.sys on you Windows 7 RC partition
    - To prevent it from being restored you have to copy it also to \Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\machine.inf_x86_neutral_e13b2b757efc5205\pci.sys
    - After that boot the Windows 7 RC setup again
    - Wait for Windows setup to complete (it restarts a couple of times)
    Voila it works! :)

Be aware that this is is only a workaround to get Windows 7 RC to work with computers that experience the BSOD 0x00000124 error.
    This workaround is not supported by Microsoft in any way.

• Proposed as answer by xayana Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:55 PM
    Friday, May 22, 2009 3:25 PM
  • I've used Dazob's method, and the installation works fine now. :)
    After the ''installing updates'' is succesful, i use my dualboot to boot to vista.
    When i'm trying to put pci.sys into the System32\drivers\ folder, this works fine.
    But when i want to try putting the pci.sys into the System32\Driverstore\FileRepository\machine.inf_x86_neutral_e13b2b757efc5205, i get a message that i'm not allowed to change anything in that folder.

So i've tryed the rest of the installation anyway, and this worked fine. But when i want to start windows 7, it works for a few minutes, or my pc shuts down after loading windows 7.

I can't put pci.sys in both folders anymore, so i guess i have to reinstall windows 7...

Is there any way to put pci.sys in System32\Driverstore\FileRepository\machine.inf_x86_neutral_e13b2b757efc5205 during the installation using Vista?
    Or is there any way to get pci.sys into both windows 7 driver folders (using Vista dualboot) when windows 7 is already installed?

hope there is a solution...
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:19 PM
  • Schumi,

Although you're needless to say pretty far outside the realm of what we'd normally recommend on these forums, I imagine that you'll be able to move the files around just fine from within VistaPE .
    -Alex
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:43 PM
  • That is a workaround. Not an answer. Please stop misleading people. There is still an issue with the beta an PCI-E video cards
    Friday, May 29, 2009 9:49 AM
  • Hello Schumi,

I had the same problem that I could not write to specific folders.
    I did the following to do anyway:
    1. I took ownership of the folder and clicked 'yes' to take it for all files and subfolders in that folder
    2. Then I added permission to full access for my account and also replaces the permissions on all files and subfolders
    For security reasons you should remember the permissions you changed and change it back to default after Windows 7 was installed successfully.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:25 PM
  • Dazob,

Is it possible to put pci.sys in the win 7 folders using vista, or do i really have to use something like Bart/Vista PE like your suggesting?
    If it is possible;
    How did you take ownership of the win 7 driver folders?
    I've tried to change the security settings by using the properties of the folder, but i couldn't make changes in the security settings either.
    (I'm using a Dutch version of Vista, so i don't exactly know what the english terms in properties are.)
    I also understand that i can only put the pci.sys in win 7 sytem32 when i'm installing it, not after installation using a vista dualboot...

btw, does anyone know if Microsoft is working on a solution for the PCI-e video cards (i'm sure they are) and are the gonna publish a fixed RC?

Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:47 PM
  • That is a workaround. Not an answer. Please stop misleading people. There is still an issue with the beta an PCI-E video cards

Hi

Whether an answer is perceived as a workaround that only works for some users or a fix that works for everyone, if it solved the problem for the Thread Starter this is all that is required, in the context of these forums, to mark the post that contains the answer as the answer. The Thread Starter has control over the Mark As Answer function and can mark or unmark any post, regardless of who marks the post.

The reason is that when members are scanning these forums for a problem solution, they may bypass a thread if it does not contain an Answer Icon, and that thread could contain the workaround that could possibly solve their issue.

If you are experiencing this same issue, you are more than welcome to start your own thread. This will make you the Thread Starter and give you complete control over the Mark As Answer function.

Thanks for understanding.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Forum Moderator

Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:56 PM
  • Hi

Of course, everyone is still welcome to continue this thread.

Any subsequent members posts that define a fix will also be marked as an answer.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:15 AM
  • remove your pci-e graphics card and use the method by copying pci.sys drivers from windows 7 beta to your installation directory before the system reboots , that worked for me. the problem is that  windows 7 has a bad pci.sys drivers and it is not the graphics driver of sorts. but the agp port drivers.
    hope this helps
    HMULLIE@GMAIL.COM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:40 PM

When rebooting, I get the windows 7 boot screen, and directly after that a BSOD displays with the STOP code:

I have already tried to disabled the C1E option in my BIOS, and as far as I currently know, I don't have a on board video card.

What really bugs me, is that I cant seem to find what the 2nd parameter is, since I have not found any post with the exact similar error code.

the problem lies with windows 7 drivers for the agp subsystem and is not related to your 3d card at all there is a work around for this error. the steps i took in order to have this fixed is the following, this a temporary fix and needs to be done every time you reinstall windows 7 unless somebody can add the drivers to the windows 7 image and let us know how to do this, i am not clued up in manipulating images. 1. download the following from rapid-share http://rapidshare.com/files/250990764/win7_patch_rc1.rar.html or from mega upload http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9U56PDI3. 2. shutdown your pc and remove your 3d card from the PC. 3. restart your system and reinstall windows 7. 4. after install is complete reboot your PC in safe made by pressing f8 repeatedly. 5. extract this files on your harddrive somewhere & run the batch file included in the archive. the batch file will take ownership of your PC & patch the agp & pci.sys files. 6. shutdown your pc & reinstall your 3d card. 7. srart up your pc & install the newest nvidea or ati device drivers for windows 7. that should have a temporary fix for installation issues and remove the bsod at install.
    HMULLIE@GMAIL.COM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:16 AM

When rebooting, I get the windows 7 boot screen, and directly after that a BSOD displays with the STOP code:

I have already tried to disabled the C1E option in my BIOS, and as far as I currently know, I don't have a on board video card.

the problem lies with windows 7 drivers for the agp subsystem and is not related to your 3d card at all there is a work around for this error. the steps i took in order to have this fixed is the following, this a temporary fix and needs to be done every time you reinstall windows 7 unless somebody can add the drivers to the windows 7 image and let us know how to do this, i am not clued up in manipulating images. 1. download the following from rapid-share http://rapidshare.com/files/250990764/win7_patch_rc1.rar.html or from mega upload http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9U56PDI3. 2. shutdown your pc and remove your 3d card from the PC. 3. restart your system and reinstall windows 7. 4. after install is complete reboot your PC in safe made by pressing f8 repeatedly. 5. extract this files on your harddrive somewhere & run the batch file included in the archive. the batch file will take ownership of your PC & patch the agp & pci.sys files. 6. shutdown your pc & reinstall your 3d card. 7. srart up your pc & install the newest nvidea or ati device drivers for windows 7. that should have a temporary fix for installation issues and remove the bsod at install.
    HMULLIE@GMAIL.COM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:28 AM
  • Hi,

If you happen to run into this error again, this post may help you debug it,

http://mikemstech.blogspot.com/2010/07/windbgkd-debugging-processor-cache.html

-- Mike Burr
    Technology
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 10:27 PM