none
Status column RRS feed

• Question

• In my schedule tasks getting completed 100% beyond the Finish date are not flagged off as late. I need to have a mechanism to display all late tasks whether complete or not.

Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:52 AM

Answers

• Raj, once a task completes, the finish date is set equal to the actual finish date. The status column will not show completed tasks as being late.

What you would probably find more useful is a test on the finish variance. Once you baseline your project, the baseline finish dates do not change whatever the changes to the schedule. Then the finish variance will show you how much greater the scheduled (or actual finish date for completed tasks) is than the baseline finish date. If you would like an indicator instead of just the variance number, you can configure a custom (duration) field with a formula to make it equal to the finish variance value - and indicators to show whether the task is/was late finishing or not.

Graham

Sunday, January 13, 2013 2:00 AM
  • I might also add that it's generally considered bad practice (and impossible) to complete tasks in the future.  I would recommend:

1) Use the status date feature.

2) Check the two options in the Tools > Options > Advanced - at the bottom. 

This will move completed tasks prior to the status date, and then control how the remaining work is scheduled.

On top of that, I generally use a custom formula to create my own status field.  The built-in one is somewhat inexact, as you have noticed.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Monday, January 14, 2013 5:55 PM

All replies

• Raj, once a task completes, the finish date is set equal to the actual finish date. The status column will not show completed tasks as being late.

What you would probably find more useful is a test on the finish variance. Once you baseline your project, the baseline finish dates do not change whatever the changes to the schedule. Then the finish variance will show you how much greater the scheduled (or actual finish date for completed tasks) is than the baseline finish date. If you would like an indicator instead of just the variance number, you can configure a custom (duration) field with a formula to make it equal to the finish variance value - and indicators to show whether the task is/was late finishing or not.

Graham

Sunday, January 13, 2013 2:00 AM
  • I might also add that it's generally considered bad practice (and impossible) to complete tasks in the future.  I would recommend:

1) Use the status date feature.

2) Check the two options in the Tools > Options > Advanced - at the bottom. 

This will move completed tasks prior to the status date, and then control how the remaining work is scheduled.

On top of that, I generally use a custom formula to create my own status field.  The built-in one is somewhat inexact, as you have noticed.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Monday, January 14, 2013 5:55 PM