Importing SharePoint 2007 list templates (STP) into SharePoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to import SharePoint 2007 list template into SharePoint 2013 ??

Thanks in Advance

M.M

Thursday, March 7, 2013 9:49 PM

All replies

• Sure, but you've basically got to add the list to a blank site in SP2007 that is the ONLY thing in a contentdb, do a db attach migration to SP2010, then do a db attach migration to SP2013, then save the list as a template, and use it on other sites in SP2013. 

Out of the box, this is the only option without using 3rd party tools.  You could probably do something custom but it'd be a ton of work.

John Ross
    SharePoint Server MVP | Sr. Consultant Rackspace: SharePoint Consulting
    Blog: http://johnrossjr.wordpress.com
    Twitter: @JohnRossJr

SharePoint 2013 Branding and User Interface Design
    Professional SharePoint 2010 Branding and User Interface Design (Wrox Programmer to Programmer)

Friday, March 8, 2013 1:11 AM
  • You can better recreate the template in 2013 :-)

Blog: www.jasperoosterveld.com Twitter: @SharePTJasper

Friday, March 8, 2013 8:22 AM
  • Save the list as a list template (".stp" file).
    Download the list template
    Change the extension to ".cab" and extract the contents
    Edit the manifest.xml file changing ProductVersion element from 3 to 4 or 5(i am not much sure)
    Repackage the STP file.
    Upload the STP file to your SharePoint 2013 site
    Create a new list using the template.

This might work as we have tried this way once from Sharepoint 2007 list template to sharepoint 2010. 

Thanks

SD

Subash Das

Friday, March 8, 2013 12:26 PM
  • I edited picture library list template manifest.xml from 3 to 4 and created a new list in 2013 but when i try to upload an image to the picture library i created it is throwing an error.

Is there some other solution that i can try.

Thanks,

M.M

Friday, March 8, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Hi 

can you please post the detail error you are getting after enabling callstack=true and ErrorMode=RemoteOnly in web.config .

Thanks

SD

Subash Das

Monday, March 11, 2013 6:39 PM
  • Sure, but you've basically got to add the list to a blank site in SP2007 that is the ONLY thing in a contentdb, do a db attach migration to SP2010, then do a db attach migration to SP2013, then save the list as a template, and use it on other sites in SP2013. 

Out of the box, this is the only option without using 3rd party tools.  You could probably do something custom but it'd be a ton of work.

John Ross
    SharePoint Server MVP | Sr. Consultant Rackspace: SharePoint Consulting
    Blog: http://johnrossjr.wordpress.com
    Twitter: @JohnRossJr

SharePoint 2013 Branding and User Interface Design
    Professional SharePoint 2010 Branding and User Interface Design (Wrox Programmer to Programmer)

I John, I want use this method to move an entire site collection from 2007 to 2013...Is this the right way or method is valid only for lists/libraries?

Source: Site collection on 2007

Destination: Subsite of a site collection in 2013

Thanks

• Edited by Vito D'Andrea Friday, June 7, 2013 11:35 AM adding cit.
    • Proposed as answer by dougseq Saturday, January 9, 2016 7:11 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by dougseq Saturday, January 9, 2016 7:11 AM
    Friday, June 7, 2013 11:19 AM