none
Switching Disaster Protection from secondary DPM to Primary DPM fails RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DPM2010installation . The primary DPM then had a failed disk. when the disk failed I went into the secondary DPM and performed a switch protection to have the secondary DPM take ownership of the backups.  I repaired the disk of the primary DPM and used the dpmsync -reallocatereplica command to restore the replica and recovery partitions.

I then went on the secondary dpm and selected switch protection to have the primary be the owner.  this worked for all protection groups except for my production SQL DBs.  The primary dpm threw an error in the monitoring section about the secondary dpm being the owner and it gave an error in the alerts tabs with an error about ownership. so I right clicked the message and selected take ownership.  this worked for the primary dpm. the SQL DBs are now completing consistency checks and recovery points successfully.

The issue, on the secondary dpm, the DBs still have a title of PRODSQL (Protection-Switched)

when I try to switch protection, I get the following message:

Switching disaster protection for DB1 failed:

Error 33141: The data source System Protection on the server drsql1.campusdoor.com is being protected directly on the secondary DPM server. To switch protection of the selected data source(s) to the primary DPM server, stop protection of the data source System Protection (with or without retain data) and then retry the operation.

I removed the DBs from the protection group and retained the data. I then added them back to the protection group by expanding the primary DPM. they are still labeled as PRODSQL (Protection-Switched)

any suggestions?

Ian

Ian

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:29 PM

Answers

• I fixed the issue myself.

when I was on the secondary DPM, I tried the switch protection command again. I reread the message it said that my mirrored server in my DR environment (we will call this SQL_DR) was the owner and that if I wanted to switch protection, I would need to stop protection of system protection and try the switch protection command again.

I misread the message before but now I understand it.  I have two resources backed up from SQL_DR. the first was a System protection of SQL_DR locally to the secondary DPM. (I have the secondary DPM taking BMRs of all the server in my DR environment.

the next resource was a D volume on SQL_DR  this D volume hold documents from our production environment, so they are a copy of what files off the production SQL server.  instead of transferrin the 1.2TB of data over the wan from the primary DPM to the secondary DPM, I figured copy the data locally, (which is already sent over the wan from the production SQL to  SQL_DR.) once I also removed that D volume from protection, the switch protection command was successful. 

Ian

• Marked as answer by The_Krayze Thursday, July 3, 2014 1:46 PM
    Thursday, July 3, 2014 1:46 PM

All replies

• just wanted to bump this post to see if anyone has any answers.

what i have tried was to delete a small DB being protected by secondary DPM.  i removed all data from disk and then re-added the DB to the protection group.  it still thinks that is has primary ownership of the backups from my production SQL box.  it causes a message on the primary DPM to say it no longer has ownership. I went on the production SQL box and ran setdpm and pointed to the primary DPM.  this still allows the primary DPM to perform successful backups.  the secondary DPM still will not perform any consistency check or switch the protection back to the primary DPM without failure.

Please provide me with any suggestions.

Thanks

Ian

Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:52 PM
  • bump

Ian

Thursday, July 3, 2014 1:26 PM
  • I fixed the issue myself.

when I was on the secondary DPM, I tried the switch protection command again. I reread the message it said that my mirrored server in my DR environment (we will call this SQL_DR) was the owner and that if I wanted to switch protection, I would need to stop protection of system protection and try the switch protection command again.

I misread the message before but now I understand it.  I have two resources backed up from SQL_DR. the first was a System protection of SQL_DR locally to the secondary DPM. (I have the secondary DPM taking BMRs of all the server in my DR environment.

the next resource was a D volume on SQL_DR  this D volume hold documents from our production environment, so they are a copy of what files off the production SQL server.  instead of transferrin the 1.2TB of data over the wan from the primary DPM to the secondary DPM, I figured copy the data locally, (which is already sent over the wan from the production SQL to  SQL_DR.) once I also removed that D volume from protection, the switch protection command was successful. 

Ian

• Marked as answer by The_Krayze Thursday, July 3, 2014 1:46 PM
    Thursday, July 3, 2014 1:46 PM