none
Group Proliferation RRS feed

• Question

• Per what I am seeing each time a new project is created, there are several groups created which also become part of the parent PWA site collection. When a project is deleted, I dont see these groups being removed. So my question is whether some scripted cleanup needs to happen? What are the risks? Also the SharePoint thresholds and boundaries document lists that the maximum number of groups supported in a site collection is 10,000. So how do organizations that have more than 2500 projects handle this? For example, you end up with approx 10,000 groups for 2,500 projects. I have ~19,000 groups at the moment which is why I raise the question. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Jake.

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 2:24 PM

All replies

• Hello Jake,

You are correct in your assessment.  When projects are deleted, the SharePoint groups are not deleted.

SharePoint Permission mode is simple and works fine for small number of projects or project managers, however there arent any out-of-box tools to help you manage the groups.  It is going to require writing PowerShell scripts to search and manage your groups.

Personally, I find SharePoint Mode limited compared to Project Mode .   Delegation is not available in SharePoint mode which is the most common feature I used for problem solving. 

Are you using SharePoint mode for a particular reason?   Are you aware that you can switch the mode to project mode using PowerShell?

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 3:15 AM
  • Thanks for the response Michael! We are actually using Project Server mode as SharePoint mode does not work for the granular controls we are looking for. When using Project Server mode, the system ends up creating 4 synchronized SharePoint groups per project that it does not clean up. I was referring to these PWA groups. 

So as per what you are saying, we have to some housekeeping to clear these groups out. I guess my question in that case is - are there any risks? Do I just use the logic to see if there are groups (not default OOTB ones) not used by any project related workspace site and clean them out periodically? Anything else I need to be careful about?

Jake.

• Edited by jacobUT Wednesday, August 9, 2017 12:04 PM
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 12:03 PM