none
HyperV replication doesn't work from 2016 to 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I have installed and configured 2 new machines with Windows 2016 and configured cluster HyperV on them. I have couple of machines working on them already. 

I have another HyperV Host on Windows 2012 R2. I have 12 machines on this hyperV and from this 2012r2 machine I replicated a test VM to Windows 2016 Cluster VM successfully.

After replication finished, I failed over the machine without a problem then tried to do a reverse replication but it didn't work as I keep getting this error:

"Hyper-V cannot connect to the specified replica server . error the operation timed out verify that the specified server is enabled as a replica server."

I tried to delete the VM on the 2012R2 Host and replicate it from HyperV cluster 2016 to 2012 but I get the same error.

I have tried to do some troubleshooting and noticed that the Hyper-V is listening on replication port that I configured 443 but with the localhost IP 127.0.0.1 not its own IP so I can telnet localhost from the same host but I can't telnet the host from the other HyperV Hosts.

I am curious .. Is this a bug or is the replication process supported only from 2012 to 2016 not the opposite? 

Thanks

Mohammed JH

• Edited by moh10ly Wednesday, November 16, 2016 1:11 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 12:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Leo and Brian, thank you so much for your comments. 

Today I was able to solve the problem on my own. I checked the Event viewer on the HyperV host and found some errors related to binding some services on an old IP that I don't use anymore on the HyperV host adapters.

The network team here changed the subnet from 172.16.24.0 to 10.10.x.x and the 172 IP was still trying to get registered with the WS Management service as you can see in the error below

To solve the problem: 

I checked the bind IP to the winrm service through the CMD "winrm enumerate winrm/config/listener"  but that showed the right IP addresses not the 172.16.24.x.

I decided to search for the IP 172.16.24.x in the registry and see where is it still there exactly and it was under HKLM\SYSTEM\Controlset001\services\http\parameters

I removed the old IP and replaced it with the new one and so for all the other registry values. Restarted the host and now it's working fine. 

Here's a reference from MS

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/890015

Mohammed JH

• Edited by moh10ly Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:48 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Leo HanModerator Friday, November 18, 2016 5:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by moh10ly Monday, November 21, 2016 10:52 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 7:48 AM

All replies

• Just looking at your subject line - that is probably correct.

Moving backward is rarely supported / tested.  Moving forward is always tested and generally supported.

Considering that there are cases where the configuration file can be different, the new checkpoint types, etc. 

There are features that 2012 has no knowledge of / cannot support.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 6:18 PM
  • Hi Mohammed,

As far as I know, it seems there are no official documents stating replication is supported between 2012 and 2016.

There may be some changes of the feature on Server 2016.

We may wait for later official documents or updates.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 3:10 AM
  • Hi Leo and Brian, thank you so much for your comments. 

Today I was able to solve the problem on my own. I checked the Event viewer on the HyperV host and found some errors related to binding some services on an old IP that I don't use anymore on the HyperV host adapters.

The network team here changed the subnet from 172.16.24.0 to 10.10.x.x and the 172 IP was still trying to get registered with the WS Management service as you can see in the error below

To solve the problem: 

I checked the bind IP to the winrm service through the CMD "winrm enumerate winrm/config/listener"  but that showed the right IP addresses not the 172.16.24.x.

I decided to search for the IP 172.16.24.x in the registry and see where is it still there exactly and it was under HKLM\SYSTEM\Controlset001\services\http\parameters

I removed the old IP and replaced it with the new one and so for all the other registry values. Restarted the host and now it's working fine. 

Here's a reference from MS

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/890015

Mohammed JH

• Edited by moh10ly Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:48 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Leo HanModerator Friday, November 18, 2016 5:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by moh10ly Monday, November 21, 2016 10:52 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 7:48 AM
  • Hi Mohammed,

>>Today I was able to solve the problem on my own

Glad to hear your issue was solved and also thanks for your sharing.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 18, 2016 5:06 AM