none
Does SSDT for Visual Studio 2012 support BI project templates? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm playing with the just released version of SSDT for Visual Studio 2012.  I'm a bit confused: Does this version allow for the business
    intelligence project templates (SSAS, SSRS, SSIS) to use the Visual Studio 2012 shell?

Thanks for your help,

James Serra

Monday, September 17, 2012 7:41 PM

Answers

• The SSAS/RS/IS templates ship with SQL Server 2012 and are not in the Visual Studio 2012 box. From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/hh322942

Will the BIDS tools be available as part of SSDT?

In the SQL Server 2012 installer, developers can install the BIDS tools for Visual Studio 2010 by selecting SSDT during installation. The BIDS tools will run on Visual Studio 2010 SP1, as SSDT does. The SQL Server 2012 installer will also install SSDT’s prerequisites and a “stub project” that allows SQL Server 2012 users to acquire the latest SSDT version from the web.

In the web acquision experience, however, the SSDT shell only includes the database projects component. Installing SSDT from the web will not install BIDS tools.

• Proposed as answer by Janet Yeilding Monday, September 17, 2012 8:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Janet Yeilding Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:03 PM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Current plan is that they will be made available as an online update, however this deliverable is owned by the respective Reporting Service, Analysis Service and Integration Services teams. SSDT is only the outer shell to host these project systems, point being is that nobody in the SSDT team is able to make statements about these deliveables.

-GertD @ www.sqlproj.com

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:24 AM
  • Hi James,

the download to add the BI Project Templates to the VS2012 shell is now available: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36843

HTH
    Kostja

Please mark as 'Answer', if the solution solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by Erick Ellis Friday, March 8, 2013 4:46 PM
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:19 AM

All replies

• The SSAS/RS/IS templates ship with SQL Server 2012 and are not in the Visual Studio 2012 box. From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/hh322942

Will the BIDS tools be available as part of SSDT?

In the SQL Server 2012 installer, developers can install the BIDS tools for Visual Studio 2010 by selecting SSDT during installation. The BIDS tools will run on Visual Studio 2010 SP1, as SSDT does. The SQL Server 2012 installer will also install SSDT’s prerequisites and a “stub project” that allows SQL Server 2012 users to acquire the latest SSDT version from the web.

In the web acquision experience, however, the SSDT shell only includes the database projects component. Installing SSDT from the web will not install BIDS tools.

• Proposed as answer by Janet Yeilding Monday, September 17, 2012 8:42 PM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Thanks Janet.  I was hoping the BI templates would of been updated with the new version of SSDT to use the VS 2012 shell.  Will the BI templates that work with the VS 2012 shell eventually be available as a separate update or will then only be available with a service pack update to SQL Server 2012?

James Serra

Monday, September 17, 2012 9:15 PM
  • Current plan is that they will be made available as an online update, however this deliverable is owned by the respective Reporting Service, Analysis Service and Integration Services teams. SSDT is only the outer shell to host these project systems, point being is that nobody in the SSDT team is able to make statements about these deliveables.

-GertD @ www.sqlproj.com

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:24 AM
  • I personally want to add my voice as being very disappointed in this.  When SSDT / SQL 2012 came out – the Microsoft marketing machine promised us SSDT was the replacement for BIDS – and the practice of Data Tools always being one level of VS behind C#, VB etc would end.  It lasted 6 months.  Congratulations.  Now you are telling us if it is a database project – open SSDT in VS2012.  If it is an SSIS project – open SSDT in VS2010.  And oh by the way – if you want one solution covering all the aspects of your application – you are out of luck.  And the last thing I want to see here is finger pointing.  “Oh – you should get it – but it will come from over there.”  If I tried that B.S. in my organization I would be fired – and rightfully so.

John

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:51 AM
  • Hi John,

From what I've seen, this is a bit of a communications cock-up. I think BIDS was renamed SSDT by the "BI" team independently of the VS/SQL engine guys creating what they've called SSDT.

It would make perfect sense to have both SSDT's bundled together to create a "total" solution for database development.

Cheers Chris

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Hi James,

the download to add the BI Project Templates to the VS2012 shell is now available: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36843

HTH
    Kostja

Please mark as 'Answer', if the solution solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by Erick Ellis Friday, March 8, 2013 4:46 PM
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:19 AM
  • during the setup you need to select "new instance" and not an existing SQL Server instance and you'll be able to install the BI support in VS2012 otherwise you get an error message "architecture mismatch" (32-bit vs. 64-bit mismatch).

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:07 PM
  • Real quick, I am still confused by the difference between SSDT and SSDT-BI, but a little more clear thanks to your post here. 

On this page, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/hh297027, the following is noted: "SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) is a distinct toolset from SQL Server Data Tools - Business Intelligence for Visual Studio 2012 (SSDT-BI)." 

The question is, does it make a difference which one is being used? If I install SSDT-BI in VS2012, would I end up with the same capabilities as SSDT in VS2012? I can't find a reference that explains the difference between these two products. 

I appreciate your help.

Radu

Radu P.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 3:13 PM
  • Hi Radu,

I wrote a blog about this that might clear up your confusion:

Visual Studio 2012 now supports BI!

James Serra

Thursday, April 4, 2013 3:17 PM
  • Thanks, James, the install templates seem to indicate that I can develop the same types of projects through SSDT-BI in VS2012 as the SSDT tools that come with SQL Server. Let me know if you think otherwise.

It's a plus to have these tools in the same VS environment.

Thanks.

Radu P.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:25 PM