No audio for Microsoft Media Player 10 or 11 on IBM Thinkpads A31p & T43p RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to play a DVD movie on the above 2 machines with the same result as most people, great picture, no sound.  I looked for the "speaker" icon in Control Panel.  I have Sounds and Audio Devices.  What is this right click on Speaker thing?  Also,  I downloaded and installed the AC3filter on the T43p and it did nothing.  I ran the test and got "no" on all 3 items.  I shut the T43p down and restarted Media Player.  Same result: video, no audio. 

Microsoft is famous for buggy software but this is rediculous. 

Funny story:  I took a call from a PeopleSoft client after we had delivered a buggy quarterly bundle.  The IT manager's first question to me was "Do you folks test this stuff."  I came within an eyelash of responding, "Yes, we use the Microsoft method."  but I didn't.

Any suggestions?  I'm trying to create a custom DVD for a friend & he received an error message that Media Player can't play the DVD.  I got the same message on my A31p.  I also have a Windows 2003 Server and an XP Media Edition.  Both work fine.  It's the laptops that don't.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First, I would like to clarify our issue by checking the following questions:

1. Does the issue occur when play the other discs?

2. Is there any sound when use other programs?

Regarding the IBM ThinkPad A31p, after checking the Lenovo site, I found there is no audio driver for Vista listed. Please refer to the manufacturer for it.

Regarding the IBM ThinkPad T43p, according to the information in the Lenovo site, you need to perform Windows Update to obtain the driver.

More information:

Update drivers: recommended links

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, November 3, 2010 7:20 AM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 9:15 AM