WD 500GB Hard Drive Disappeared and not visible under disk management? Help please RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched all over for solutions but I can't seem to find the exact problem that I have:

Bought a new computer with Windows 7 64bit. Installed WD Hard Drive WD5000C032 perfectly and it worked perfect for about 2 months. Then one day it was just gone from "my computer." The light is still on the harddrive and I can hear it working. (No abnormal sounds). It does not show up under disk management either.

I've tried different cables. I've made sure connections are secure. I've tried finding and reinstalling drivers. Any other suggestions or thoughts?

Help please.

Friday, July 2, 2010 1:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm how the WD drive is connected. If it is USB, please unplug other USB device, if any USB hub is used, please bypass it and connect to computer directly. Please also update BIOS and device drivers to latest version.

You can also try the following steps to reinstall USB controllers:

Reinstall USB controllers
    -----------------------------
    Use the Mouse
    ================
    First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start" button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.
    2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard
    ================
    First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the “Start” menu.
    2. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.
    3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
    4. Press "Right" and expand it.
    5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.
    6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, July 7, 2010 7:58 AM
    Friday, July 2, 2010 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to confirm how the WD drive is connected. If it is USB, please unplug other USB device, if any USB hub is used, please bypass it and connect to computer directly. Please also update BIOS and device drivers to latest version.

You can also try the following steps to reinstall USB controllers:

Reinstall USB controllers
    -----------------------------
    Use the Mouse
    ================
    First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start" button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.
    2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard
    ================
    First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the “Start” menu.
    2. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.
    3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
    4. Press "Right" and expand it.
    5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.
    6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, July 7, 2010 7:58 AM
    Friday, July 2, 2010 7:16 AM
  • Hi jbyham,

I had exactly the same issue and was getting nowhere. The closest I got to an occasional reason for it was something to do with using a pen-drive at the same time as the WD drive (which I had done). Out of interest does this ring any bells with you?

Anyway, I work for Eon IS in the UK and luckily a clever colleague had the suggestion below. It worked for me, I hope it works for you...

Navigate to: Control panel / System and Security / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Storage / Disk Management.

The drive should either be showing marked 'inactive' or having no drive letter assigned?

·         If the former - Right click the Partition and select 'Mark Partition as Active'.

·         If the latter - Right click the Partition and select 'Change Drive Letters and Paths' / Select 'Add' / Select a letter and 'OK' to save.

The drive should now re-appear in Computer

Let me know how you got on.

J

• Proposed as answer by Jimble1977 Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:25 AM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:25 AM
  • Hallo ook ik heb dit probleem als bovenstaand.

WD Hard Drive WD5000C032 stuurprogramma niet gevonden foutmelding

De stuurprogramma's voor dit apparaat zijn niet geïnstalleerd. (Code 28)

Er is geen stuurprogramma geïnstalleerd voor de gegevensset of het gegevenselement van het apparaat.

Klik op Stuurprogramma bijwerken om een stuurprogramma voor dit apparaat te zoeken.

heb de oplossing die u aangaf uitgevoerd maar probleem blijft. Niet vindbaar.

maar ik kan het stuurprogramma nergens vinden.

heb uw opdracht volledig uitgevoerd maar zonder resultaat

Hans Zaal

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:13 PM