none
Project not assigning resources to tasks evenly RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using MS Project 2013.

I'm creating a task, to which I assigned two resources: one at 100%, and another at 80%.

I expect both of these resources to work across the duration of the task.  However, this is not happening.  When I review the hours in either Task Usage or Resouce Usage, I that one of the resources works on the task for longer than the other.  (ie, they both work Monday - Weds, but then only one of them has  hours assigned on Thur and Fri.

I have validated the resource calendar - this is not because the time is non-working for that resource.  I've tried to fix with numerous versions of recreating the task, with no luck. 

What is happening, and how do I fix this?

Friday, May 5, 2017 1:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Bruce,

Can you detail the steps you've done? I reproduced your use case on a new task, and when I use the following steps, it works as expected:

1. create a 10 days task
    2. split the screen with the task form with the work information
    3. in the task form, assign resource A with 100% unit (should be 10d of work)
    4. assign resource B with 80% unit (should be 8d of work)
    5. click OK
    6. navigate to the task usage view

You should see both 10d (resource A) and 8d (resource B) spread evenly on the task duration (10d).

A few tips: what is your task type, do you have any constraints, dependencies?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Friday, May 5, 2017 1:29 PM
  • Getting inconsistent results.  Here is task I created with 100% / 80%.  This is better than before: Shows the 80% resource working one more day than the 100% resource.  But still not right.

I then tried creating the task with 100% / 20%, and then changed the 20% resource to 80%.

Note that it just pushed all that persons work “early”.  It left then doing 20% of the work, filled up their calendar to 80%, and then said “All done!”  It’s like it doesn’t want to recalculate the date.  Which is exactly how I got to this problem – was trying to get MS Project to recalculate dates.  Been trying this on both Fixed Units and Fixed Work settings.  These examples I just sent are fixed Units (the default).

Friday, May 5, 2017 2:53 PM
  • Apologies - Can't attach an image yet, having trouble validating my account...
    Friday, May 5, 2017 2:54 PM
  • Strange, I get correct behavior with fixed unit either. Same if I assign first resource A, validate, then assign resource B.

Which MS Project version do you have? Does it behave the same with a blank new task?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Friday, May 5, 2017 2:59 PM
  • I'm on Project 2013 Standard.

After some experimentation, I think I'm seeing the problem a bit more clearly.  The challenge is that MS Project is dividing up the work of the task equally between the two resources, no matter what their allocation is.

So if the task has 200 hours of work, and I assign two resources, then it's insisting on giving each of them 100 hours to do.  So if one of them is less than 100% allocated, then that person becomes the critical path of the project, because they need to do all 100 hours of their effort in the time they have allotted.

What I'd like to do is for Project to say "Ah, one person is at 100% and the other is 50%, so the first person should get assigned twice as much work as the second".

Any idea why it's not doing this and how I can fix it?  I suppose I can force this manually, but that defeats the purpose of MS Project doing this type of calculation for me.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 10:04 PM