none
Do I need a VPN gateway device to replicate my domain controller to Azure Site recovery RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Dears,

I have a simple environment that consists of a single domain controller and one Exchange 2016 server and I need to use Azure site recovery as a complete DR solution for those two servers. my question is do I need a VPN gateway to configure a site to site VPN?

Sunday, October 7, 2018 3:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For Azure Site Recovery to replicate your VM's to Azure you don't need a VPN, it replicates over the internet. 

It terms of DR solution though you typically want to have Active Directory perform it's own replication rather than using ASR. AD jas been drastically improved in the last years and recovery well from an non-clean shutdown but best practice is stil to make AD perform it's own replication.

With regards to Exchange my advice would be exactly the same: Rather than replicating the VM to Azure, install a second Exchange server in Azure, configure it as part of a DAG and perform database replication to the Azure VM.

Having said this, I can imagine some environment are small enough to make use of ASR in this case and while it is NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED (afaik) it COULD work. What I would do is replicate the two VM's and attempt to start then in a completely shielded VNet in Azure (you can do a tet fail over in ASR which will do this for you). As I said while this is certainly not optimal it may just work for you.

Andre

• Marked as answer by AF2000 Monday, October 8, 2018 10:16 AM
    Sunday, October 7, 2018 7:35 PM