Deleted Files off my external RRS feed

• Question

• I just bought a new laptop which is windows 8 so I put the files I wanted to keep off my old vista desktop onto a 1.5 TB Western Digital External Hard Drive

Well when i plugged the hard drive into my new laptop I opened it it took a couple seconds to load (which i figured okay first time plugged in) but then a new window opened Moving to recycling bin or something along those lines, I hit more info and it showed nothing so i found the small x near the words and hit that.

While looking through my hard drive i noticed multiple different files were gone and some folders, so I unplugged the drive and went looking on the web for recovery programs and found a couple that showed many more files deleted than I previously knew videos, pictures, and even game files from sims 3.

I have no idea why this happened and would like to know how to stop it from ever happening again, There were no viruses/malware or anything like that as I run scans to keep ahead of junk like that.

There was no confirmation or anything about deleting it just started doing it on its own.

Friday, January 31, 2014 5:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm whether you used Vista to copy out the data onto your External HD.

Is there anything related to Windows 8? Here is the forum we discuss Windows 8/8.1 problem.

Please just make sure your operation is right, and try to find if there is any file really in the recycling bin.

For losing data issue, I truly recommend you to contact the Data recovery center for professional help.

Thanks for your understanding.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by kelvin_hsu Friday, February 7, 2014 3:14 AM
    Monday, February 3, 2014 1:12 AM