Hide network icon in windows 7 with domain gpo policy RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, i am administrating domain with windows server 2008 R2 and windows 7 clients, i want to disable or hide network icon in windows explorer to ensure that clients cannot explore network. I tried a lot of things but nothing happen. I found a little way to do something but need to be apply locally on all computers one by one. there is a lot of computers in this network (around 300). I hope somebody knows how. Regards

:net and VB6 Professional Programer

Friday, April 20, 2012 12:08 AM

Answers

• I guess you found the registry setting that changes this? If so you can deploy it to all your Machines using Group Policy Preferences very easily.

Using Group Policy Management console (not the local gpedit.msc) go to Preferences on the Computer configuration and under Registry make sure to updates this key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}\ShellFolder

And set "Attributes" to b0940064

You might also have to set the permission on this folder so that System has full control, you can also do this using Group policies by going to Computer configuration - Windows settings - Security settings - Registry.

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:48 PM

All replies

• I guess you found the registry setting that changes this? If so you can deploy it to all your Machines using Group Policy Preferences very easily.

Using Group Policy Management console (not the local gpedit.msc) go to Preferences on the Computer configuration and under Registry make sure to updates this key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}\ShellFolder

And set "Attributes" to b0940064

You might also have to set the permission on this folder so that System has full control, you can also do this using Group policies by going to Computer configuration - Windows settings - Security settings - Registry.

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:48 PM
  • i do that you tell me but how can i change permissions over all windows registry folder by gpo? can you explain me how to do that? 

:net and VB6 Professional Programer. Windows server 2008 Admin & Security Chief

Friday, April 20, 2012 8:06 PM
  • i do it how you said but nothing happen. I create the modifications in permissions in the folders and create the modification keys in "user settings > preferences > windows settings > registry" and in "computer settings > preferences > windows settings > registry"  but does not apply, i run gpupdate /force in my test client and not apply the modification. Do you know what can i be doing wrong?. Many thanks to you. 

.net and VB6 Professional Programer. Windows server 2008 Admin & Security Chief

• Edited by jlaf1983 Friday, April 20, 2012 10:03 PM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 9:12 PM
  • If there are problems applying the GPO you will find events in Event Viewer, please have a look there to see if there are any errors reported.

Blogging about Windows for IT pros at www.theexperienceblog.com

Friday, April 20, 2012 9:15 PM
  • Fortunelly i did it and can solve the problem. I guess that works fine. A lot of thanks for your help. You really help me. Regards.

:net and VB6 Professional Programer. Windows server 2008 Admin & Security Chief

• Edited by jlaf1983 Friday, April 20, 2012 10:03 PM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 10:02 PM