none
Transfering Vista HD to a new computer RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased a used computer with a blank slate 80 gig hard drive. I would like to simply take my 120 gig HD from my current computer and plop it right in the new rig.

I have heard that vista can do this much better than XP, but I wanted to get some confirmation from those in the know.

1) Will this have any issues with my vista license? I suspect it would, but is there a way to transfer?

2) Will this have any issues with hardware incompatibility with drivers and software already configured? I suspect it wouldnt be any worse than a fresh install trying to find drivers for all the new hardware.

Appreciate any help

Dan Edwards

edwardsd97@gmail.com

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Dan,

Is your Windows Vista license a retail key or an OEM key?

If it is a retail key, you can try to sysprep the system, use ImageX to capture the image, install the 120GB hard drive on the used computer and then apply the image to the 120GB hard drive. After that, you will be prompted to input the product key on the applied system.

If it is an OEM key, I am afraid we cannot do this as OEM keys are hardware bound. We cannot transfer the OEM key to another computer.

For more information about product keys, you can contact Microsoft Customer Service (800) 426-9400 for direct assistance, available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, July 28, 2008 11:33 AM

All replies

•  

I talked to the IT guy at my work and the recommended soluiton is to type:

sysprep

in a command line which will reset the OS to factory default driver settings etc. and then shut down.

Then swap the HD to the new machine and it will be in a mode where it tries to redetect hardware and find valid drivers etc.

Apparently this is also supposed to retain the license as the vista license stays with the installation of it, not with the machine its in.

Will let you know how it works out.

Friday, July 25, 2008 9:24 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Is your Windows Vista license a retail key or an OEM key?

If it is a retail key, you can try to sysprep the system, use ImageX to capture the image, install the 120GB hard drive on the used computer and then apply the image to the 120GB hard drive. After that, you will be prompted to input the product key on the applied system.

If it is an OEM key, I am afraid we cannot do this as OEM keys are hardware bound. We cannot transfer the OEM key to another computer.

For more information about product keys, you can contact Microsoft Customer Service (800) 426-9400 for direct assistance, available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, July 28, 2008 11:33 AM