Outlook 2013 - Row highlight color too pale to see clearly RRS feed

• Question

• I  have updated to Outlook 2013 and the row highlight color is a much paler blue than previous versions, which makes it difficult to see, particularly when moving mail among Outlook folders.  The issue is stated by another user at the link below but the included response doesn't provide a solution but suggests asking at this forum. 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-outlook/outlook-2013-how-to-change-highlight-color-of/63193b28-894e-43c6-9bae-c972668125d0

Thanks in advance for any help.

Monday, October 22, 2018 5:29 PM

Answers

• Hi GarethRDavies,

I am afraid there is no option available in Outlook to modify the row highlight color. As was mentioned in the link you shared above, it is suggested try changing the Office theme via File > Options > General to check if it can be better. If you still have concern on this, it is encouraged to submit your feedback to the Outlook UserVoice forum. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Outlook for Windows. What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future. 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 3:07 AM
  • Thanks for your response, Yuki Sun.  I  already set the Office theme to dark grey (rather than white) and it does help a bit but it's not ideal.  It looks as though I'll have to live with it in Office 2013.  I also have the software for Office 2016 but would rather not load this yet.  Do you (or anyone else reading this thread) know if the row highlighting is any darker in Office 2016?  It was clear enough in Office 2007 that I was using previously.

Gareth Davies

Hi Gareth,

The user interface in Office 2016 is similar to Office 2013. I checked in my Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2013 and it seems to me that the highlight color is almost the same:

In addition, if all you need is some visual aid, instead of focusing on the highlight color, I noticed that we can also check if there are Flag and Delete button to help identify whether we have selected a message. As per your concern about moving a mail to another folder, generally, a folder is highlighted when we hover over it. An alternative I can think of to avoid moving to a wrong folder if that we can select a mail, press "Ctrl+Shift+V" to trigger the Move Items dialogue box, and then choose the target folder, click OK. If you often need to move messages to a particular folder, a more efficient way is creating a quick step via Home > Quick Step > New > Move to Folder. You can also assign a keyboard shortcut for it in order to simplify the action:

Hope the above information can be helpful :)

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:14 AM

All replies

• Hi GarethRDavies,

I am afraid there is no option available in Outlook to modify the row highlight color. As was mentioned in the link you shared above, it is suggested try changing the Office theme via File > Options > General to check if it can be better. If you still have concern on this, it is encouraged to submit your feedback to the Outlook UserVoice forum. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Outlook for Windows. What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future. 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 3:07 AM
  • Thanks for your response, Yuki Sun.  I  already set the Office theme to dark grey (rather than white) and it does help a bit but it's not ideal.  It looks as though I'll have to live with it in Office 2013.  I also have the software for Office 2016 but would rather not load this yet.  Do you (or anyone else reading this thread) know if the row highlighting is any darker in Office 2016?  It was clear enough in Office 2007 that I was using previously.

Gareth Davies

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:27 PM

Gareth Davies

Hi Gareth,

The user interface in Office 2016 is similar to Office 2013. I checked in my Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2013 and it seems to me that the highlight color is almost the same:

In addition, if all you need is some visual aid, instead of focusing on the highlight color, I noticed that we can also check if there are Flag and Delete button to help identify whether we have selected a message. As per your concern about moving a mail to another folder, generally, a folder is highlighted when we hover over it. An alternative I can think of to avoid moving to a wrong folder if that we can select a mail, press "Ctrl+Shift+V" to trigger the Move Items dialogue box, and then choose the target folder, click OK. If you often need to move messages to a particular folder, a more efficient way is creating a quick step via Home > Quick Step > New > Move to Folder. You can also assign a keyboard shortcut for it in order to simplify the action:

Hope the above information can be helpful :)

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:14 AM
  • Yuki Sun,

Thanks again for your help with resolving this issue.

Gareth

Gareth Davies

Monday, November 19, 2018 7:02 PM
  • Yuki Sun,

Thanks again for your help with resolving this issue.

Gareth

Gareth Davies

My pleasure :)

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 1:38 AM