none
Exchange 2010 existing hybrid deployment with Office 365 to 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am looking for more information about what's required before installing Microsoft Exchange Server 2016 in an organization with an existing hybrid deployment with Office 365 and exchange 2010.

Currently have:

1 x Exchange 2010 in Hybrid - All mailboxes have been Migrated to Off365.

We need to keep directory sync on Premise due to other Platforms requirements.

I have a key for Exchange 2016 supplied by Microsoft.

Moving Forward:

I have built a new server 2012R2 which is replicating AD and DNS.

I would like to Install exchange 2016 on that server and migrate what I have left to the new 2016 server.  Then Turn off Exchange 2010 server.

Any advice on best way to do this now that all the mailboxes are migrated to Exchange online?

I have read this, but it doesn't tell me what I need to know.

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 4:50 AM

All replies

• Install 2016

Install any required certificates

Create any queues used for on-premises > 365 relay that exist on 2010

change relay namespace or repoint relay devices

turn off 2010 for a few days

any problems?

if no uninstall 2010

**Please don't forget to mark as helpful or answer**

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

After install Exchange 2016 into existing Exchange 2010 environment, we need change the public DNS and point to Exchange 2016, then do proxy if request access to Exchange 2010.

Therefore, we need configure external URL for all VDs on Exchange 2016 and set it to empty on Exchange 2010, install Exchange certificate on it and re-configure publish rule if needed.
    Note: recommend to schedule a time to do it.
    More information, refer to: Client Connectivity in an Exchange 2016 Coexistence Environment with Exchange 2010

After all, re-run HCW to update hybrid environment on Exchange 2016, and schedule a time to uninstall Exchange 2010.

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

Any further help we can do for you?
    If it's solved, would you please post the solution here to share it with us?
    Also, please free to mark the useful reply as answer. Thanks for your cooperation.

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 2:03 AM