C000021a Fatal System Error RRS feed

• Question

• C000021a Fatal System Error
    Vista Ultimate 0x000000000 (0xC0000001, 0x00100514) The system has been shut down. I've tried all Safe mode options, and the repair mode with the installation disk. The safe modes show windows loading up, then return to the blue screen with the error codes listed above. When using the installation disk, I can get as far as choosing repair, then the screen goes blank, the fans stop, and turns off. Alienware 5500m laptop
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 12:18 AM

Answers

•  ChilliX wrote:
    This is a personal laptop that only I use. The only thing that I have done on it recently is download the beta versions of IE8 and Windows Live Messenger... Could this have something to do with whats happening here?

Possibly. Whenever you install any beta level software, there is always a chance that it may cause problems. It's never a good idea to use beta software on your production system.

Some threads for the same error say that it's possibly due to a hard drive faliure.

"The most common cause of this error is a missing device driver dependency. This can happen even if the driver is not critical to boot. If the driver is not missing more than likely a file that a driver needs is missing.

Had you recently uninstalled any software? If you know which apps you installed/uninstalled on your previous config, you might be able to figure out which app and/or driver caused this problem.

Thank you, Lara Jones [MS]"

A hardware failure is certainly possible.

I also received other error codes;

win32K.sys address 9E8F4116 base at 9E800000 date stamp 48dIb9ef

The Win32k.sys is a kernel mode driver that is a core component of Windows. This error just shows the memory addess where the error occured.

0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x9E8F4116, 0x8FDA3898)

Does anyone know what all these codes mean??????

Bug Check 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms794023.aspx

The '0xC0000005' just confirms that this was a 'memory access violation' and the other 2 numbers show the memory address where the error occured.

The only way that the component that is causing all of this can be identified is to perform debugging of the system using the memory dump files that are generated when a blue screen error occurs. The problem, in this case, is that you have an unbootable system which would make it very difficult to access these files.

It may be possible to do this using WinPE from the Vista installation disk.

This is something that we are not able to do on these forums.

You can use the formal support that Microsoft offers.

Please go to the following website. Select the version of Vista that you have installed and the wizard lead you to the proper support website.

Online Assisted Support Options:
    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?LN=en-us&gprid=11732&x=16&y=15

Or, you can contact AlienWare to see what support resources they have available.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 6:26 PM

All replies

• Hi

This error can occur if the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS) has been compromised.

This Stop message also can occur as a result of a malware infestation or when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

I would suggest that you check with AlienWare to see if they have any custom recovery options options configured on that machine.

Let us know what you find.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:16 AM
  • This is a personal laptop that only I use. The only thing that I have done on it recently is download the beta versions of IE8 and Windows Live Messenger... Could this have something to do with whats happening here?

Some threads for the same error say that it's possibly due to a hard drive faliure.

"The most common cause of this error is a missing device driver dependency. This can happen even if the driver is not critical to boot. If the driver is not missing more than likely a file that a driver needs is missing.

Had you recently uninstalled any software? If you know which apps you installed/uninstalled on your previous config, you might be able to figure out which app and/or driver caused this problem.

&

Thursday, November 6, 2008 2:44 PM
  •  ChilliX wrote:
    This is a personal laptop that only I use. The only thing that I have done on it recently is download the beta versions of IE8 and Windows Live Messenger... Could this have something to do with whats happening here?

Possibly. Whenever you install any beta level software, there is always a chance that it may cause problems. It's never a good idea to use beta software on your production system.

A hardware failure is certainly possible.

The Win32k.sys is a kernel mode driver that is a core component of Windows. This error just shows the memory addess where the error occured.

Bug Check 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms794023.aspx

The '0xC0000005' just confirms that this was a 'memory access violation' and the other 2 numbers show the memory address where the error occured.

The only way that the component that is causing all of this can be identified is to perform debugging of the system using the memory dump files that are generated when a blue screen error occurs. The problem, in this case, is that you have an unbootable system which would make it very difficult to access these files.

It may be possible to do this using WinPE from the Vista installation disk.

This is something that we are not able to do on these forums.

You can use the formal support that Microsoft offers.

Please go to the following website. Select the version of Vista that you have installed and the wizard lead you to the proper support website.

Online Assisted Support Options:
    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?LN=en-us&gprid=11732&x=16&y=15

Or, you can contact AlienWare to see what support resources they have available.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 6:26 PM