none
"Search index on this server" in FAST Search Server for Sharepoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I wanted to understand more about the option "Search index on this server" under Federated locations while using FS4SP.

We have a setup where we have FS4SP & Sharepoint Search 2010 on 1 farm.

We crawled some sharepoint sites using the Sharepoint Search Server 2010 & we wanted to use this indexed content as part of the federated location on a FAST search Center.

We could do that by adding an "open search" federated location with the RSS feed location of the Enterprise search center page, but we thougth we could also use "Search index on this server" federated lcoation.

However, it does not work with "Search index on this server". if i crawl the same sites using the FAST Query SSA (non-recommended approach), then i get resutls under this federated location. But this is not what we want. 

Can someone point to some documentation, blog entry stating the significance of "Search index on this server" under FAST Search for sharepoint 2010 ?

Also, if there is any other approach to federate with a location which has indexed content using Sharepoint 2010 server. Please do share.

Thanks,

Ashwani

Friday, May 6, 2011 7:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Ashwani

Excuse me if I missing something obvious, but what is the problem of using the FAST Query SSA? It is really a SharePoint Search application "in disguise", so it is not surprising that it works. I haven't seen any documentation saying it's unsupported or non-recommended to use it as you have done. Have I missed something?

Regards

Thomas Svensen | Microsoft Enterprise Search Practice
    Saturday, May 7, 2011 7:53 AM
  • Ashwani,

you are correct that the content will be fed to the SharePoint Search Index if you add sources on the FAST Query SSA, and it would be ok to use the FAST Query SSA if you want the content in the SharePoint index. Just as Thomas states.

That said, I cannot think of any reason why you would not want to use FAST for all your content if you have it installed.

You can also create a regular SSA to use the SharePoint index and make it work. I assume it's not working for you as the FAST Query SSA is set as the default search ssa in the service application associations.

If i read your scenario correct you are indexing several sites, and want some of them in a sidebar, and the rest in the main results. If you create search scopes, you can easily split up your content and run both search towards the same index. Let me know if you need more help around this.

I tend to think of federated content as content not in my main result list, and not content necessarily coming from another physical index.

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Search Enthusiast - MCTS SharePoint/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/ - http://www.comperiosearch.com/
    Saturday, May 7, 2011 7:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Ashwani

Excuse me if I missing something obvious, but what is the problem of using the FAST Query SSA? It is really a SharePoint Search application "in disguise", so it is not surprising that it works. I haven't seen any documentation saying it's unsupported or non-recommended to use it as you have done. Have I missed something?

Regards

Thomas Svensen | Microsoft Enterprise Search Practice
    Saturday, May 7, 2011 7:53 AM
  • Hi Thomas,

I tried searching for the blog entry where i read that the recommendation is to use FAST Query only for People search. If i remember it right, the reason was that the index would get duplicated if we crawl content sources using FAST Query.

Looks like i mis-interpreted that message. I guess the blogger wanted to say that there would be duplicate results if we crawl the same repository with both FAST Content & FAST Query.

So if I crawl a repository using the FAST Query, the content would be fed into the SharePoint Search Server index & not the FAST search Index. Correct ?

Also, it is okie to use the Search Service Application created using "FAST Query" to crawl any content (sharepoint). It may not be required as we can do that with FAST Content, but it is fine if someone still wants to use Sharepoint search server index for some contet. Correct ?

I come from a FAST ESP background & am a newb in the Sharepoint world. Please bear with me, if i am asking obvious questions. :)

Thanks,

Ashwani

Saturday, May 7, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Ashwani,

you are correct that the content will be fed to the SharePoint Search Index if you add sources on the FAST Query SSA, and it would be ok to use the FAST Query SSA if you want the content in the SharePoint index. Just as Thomas states.

That said, I cannot think of any reason why you would not want to use FAST for all your content if you have it installed.

You can also create a regular SSA to use the SharePoint index and make it work. I assume it's not working for you as the FAST Query SSA is set as the default search ssa in the service application associations.

If i read your scenario correct you are indexing several sites, and want some of them in a sidebar, and the rest in the main results. If you create search scopes, you can easily split up your content and run both search towards the same index. Let me know if you need more help around this.

I tend to think of federated content as content not in my main result list, and not content necessarily coming from another physical index.

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Search Enthusiast - MCTS SharePoint/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/ - http://www.comperiosearch.com/
    Saturday, May 7, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Hi Mikael,

I agree with you. There should not be any reason to index the content in the SharePoint search index.

We were doing this to understand the significance of "Search index on this server" option in the federated location when working with FS4SP.

And also to understand the options of federating with an existing Sharepoint Search Server 2010 farm in the organization, Where Open Search based federated locations seems to be the best option.

Yes, we were able to index content in the regular SSA & the results from that did not appear on our search center coz FAST Query SSA was set at the default search SSA.

On the search scopes, we were able to get that going & narrow down our results for the core result's & also for federated results on the content indexed in FAST via FQL based extendedsearchfilter.

Thanks a lot for providing clarity around all this.

Cheers,

Ashwani 

Sunday, May 8, 2011 6:25 AM