Windows 7 Enterprise login performance issue RODC site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

We are deploying windows 7 enterprise to all our computers in our domain and we didn't have any performance issue on any site with Full DC. Now we are facing a problem with our multiple sites with RODC but only with new deployed windows 7 (WinXp is not having this slow login problem). The problem is very strange. Whatever a user start a session on a desktop or laptop with Windows 7, wireless or cabled, when the user enter his credential and press the "validation arrow" next to the password nothing happen (well it look like nothing happen). After 5 to 10 minutes at this logon screen, we finally see the logon process start applying domain policy, preparing the desktop etc etc and this take less then 10 seconds but remember, we just wait 5 to 10 minutes until the computer process the "process my log in" botton. Sometime, the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen come back and when we press them we got nothing, we have to wait for the "logon" to occur before doing anything else with the computer.

I've looked to many way to solve this but for now nothing worked.   
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 12:41 PM

Answers

• It looks like it's a thrid party application that is triggering a remote DC. Removing this hidden application solve the issue. The application is a Self reset password application and also a password complexity manager installed on every computer of our domain. We still don't know WHY this application need to talk to a full DC on every login as user don't necessary change there password every logon. 

Well that's a kind of situation you ask question to the third party .

Thanks of those who answered me. 

Wish you a nice day

• Marked as answer by Zyaldo Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:08 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:08 PM

All replies

• Anyone have an idea about this thread ? This is a truly annoying  situation. When I connect thought  RDP it take less then a second to log on after I've pressed the "arrow" button or press enter on my credential. 

If I use the safe mode with network, this is fast like if I was login with RDP. 

Even if i'm configuring a clean boot as proposed in the Microsoft KB arcticle it take a life time to get this "preparing you desktop" text. 

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my dilatory reply. How about using a same user account  to log on XP computer? Will it logon fast?

Have you tried to add a user account into Allowed RODC Password Replication Group for test? This problem probably caused by the password authentication problem In RODC host.

For further investigation, you can try to use Network Manitor at RODC host to capture package of client machine authenticate to a domain controller.

The blog about Understanding "Read Only Domain Controller" authentication may be helpful.

After the above steps, We can narrow the cause of this problem.

If problem persists, this problem may caused by Windows 7 Client performance. Generally speaking, the problem like this most probably caused by sercurity application problem. You can try to disable or uninstall security application temportaily for test.

If there is any progress, please feel free let us know.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:57 AM
  • Hi,

I am just writing to check the status of this thread. Was the information provided in previous reply helpful to you?
    Do you have any further questions or concerns? Please feel free to let us know.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:37 AM
  • It looks like it's a thrid party application that is triggering a remote DC. Removing this hidden application solve the issue. The application is a Self reset password application and also a password complexity manager installed on every computer of our domain. We still don't know WHY this application need to talk to a full DC on every login as user don't necessary change there password every logon. 

Well that's a kind of situation you ask question to the third party .

Thanks of those who answered me. 

Wish you a nice day

• Marked as answer by Zyaldo Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:08 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:08 PM