Project Online VS Project Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am looking into Microsoft Project for use with my company's workgroup.

We've hit a snag though. The obvious choice for us would be Project Pro for 365. But the Compare page for all the different version of Project has kind of confused us.

We need to cover 5 people. The manager and four working on the project.

The options as I see them are:

Purchase 5 licenses to Project Pro for 365 ($125/month)

Purchase one Project Online license ($33/month)

And under Project Online it LOOKS like we could have each worker under "Project Lite" for $7/month.
    This puts this option at a total of $61/month which is less than half of what Project Pro for 365 would cost us.

The last option as I see it is to purchase 1 Project Pro for 365 and then use Sharepoint to pass out tasks.

All of these "plans" I have worked out are based entirely off of assumptions from reading on the Compare page. Also a concern about Project Online is that the "Project scheduling & costing" is not checked under Project Online. Which I had assumed was the entire point of Microsoft Project.

Thanks in advance for any answers you can give me!

Thursday, August 27, 2015 7:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

What are the requirements of the 4 team members? Do they need to access the project at all? Or just submit the task updates etc.? Depending on the complexity of the project, you could just use Project Online to create and manage the project without Project Pro at all as Project Online has the same scheduling engine as Project Pro... That would mean 1 full Project Online license and 4 Project Lite licenses...

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

• Marked as answer by PWMatherMVP Monday, September 7, 2015 4:42 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 7:38 PM
  • We really only need one person with the program, and just a way to send out tasks.

On your suggestion we went ahead and purchased a license to Project Online. Now, though, I am having some functionality issues. I had been preparing myself for Project Pro for 365, so I was familiar with that functionality. Project Online seems a bit different. For instance the only way I can see to give a task a Predecessor is to use the link icon. After that I can't see which tasks are linked with which except in the view on the right. In Project Pro you can have a column that you set predecessors in. However in Project Online I can't figure out how to make a column.

I suppose basically what I'm asking for is a good place for training and learning resources. Google results in online training for Microsoft Project 2013, instead of "Microsoft Project Online training".

Thanks for your help!
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 9:49 PM
  • Hello,

You can modify the views / create new views and add in the predecessor column using the Site settings cog >  PWA Settings > Manage Views page.

For a getting started guide, see the round up of posts I wrote here: https://pwmather.wordpress.com/2014/07/22/getting-started-with-projectonline-round-up-ps2013-office365-project-ppm-sharepointonline-pm-sp2013/

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

• Marked as answer by PWMatherMVP Monday, September 7, 2015 4:42 PM
    Friday, August 28, 2015 6:41 AM