Possible to boot Vista setup from a BD-R (blu-ray)? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create an all-in-one disc that has Vista, Office, my documents, other drivers, programs, etc...  Problem is, the size of the ISO is close to 20GB.  I have a blu-ray burner and have tried to create bootable BD-Rs three times now with no luck.  The screen will come up, "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD", but after I hit a key to load the setup, it never comes up.  Does Vista have the appropriate drivers for any blu-ray drive?  Is there a driver that I need to load into the ISO for Vista that will allow it to work?  I hate to keep wasting these very expensive discs....any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have burned a smaller version of my disc onto a DVD to verify that the boot image will work....no issues there.  I think there has to be some sort of driver issue with Vista and blu-ray drives...being that Vista came out during the HD-DVD and Blu-ray war.

Thanks in advance! 
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 2:35 PM

Answers

• I want to know through which tool you created such an ISO file, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit or some third party software. If you are using Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, I think that you should invoke the peimg utility (contained in Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK)) to add the blue-ray drive while creating the bootable disk. For your information, you might refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749161.aspx to know more details about peimg /inf command.

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:11 AM
    Monday, February 9, 2009 8:53 AM

All replies

• before going any further, could you please let me know how you create such a disc you mentioned in the problem description?
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 10:24 AM
  • I create an ISO image from the Windows disc, then add folders to the image that contains drivers, programs, Office, etc.  I've done this in the past on a DVD, but I'm running out of space on DVDs and would like to get this working on a BD-R.  Let me know if you need any other info.  Thanks.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 2:28 AM
  • I want to know through which tool you created such an ISO file, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit or some third party software. If you are using Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, I think that you should invoke the peimg utility (contained in Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK)) to add the blue-ray drive while creating the bootable disk. For your information, you might refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749161.aspx to know more details about peimg /inf command.

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:11 AM
    Monday, February 9, 2009 8:53 AM
  • OK....I see what you mean now.  I used a 3rd party software.  I will try the method you speak of.
    Monday, February 9, 2009 1:46 PM